Back home and doing great!

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 11:20 am
Thank you!
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 10:29 pm - Beverly, NJ
Congratulations on such a great recovery! I love hearing how well people are doing!

You're eating solid foods this early out? They aren't bothering you? At 11 days out if I even thought of a cheeseburger patty or turkey bacon I think my insides would of split.
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 11:33 am
Thank you! 

I am being very careful with the solids.  I chew until the food is liquidy in my mouth and try to wait at least 3 minutes between bites.  It's hard to wait!  I also take really small bites.  It is so weird (and difficult) to eat this way.  I'm used to eating a lot of food very fast, so sometimes I go too fast and then have to tolerate the feeling of pressure in my chest as the food/liquid is going down.  But I'm trying my best.  The main issue I have with eating (or drinking) is burping a lot.  Also, the last 2 days I've been getting mild heartburn.  I'm going to see my NP tomorrow and I'll tell her about it then.
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 12:13 pm - Beverly, NJ
I'm hoping one of the vets will chime in.  I don't understand why you are consuming anything other than soft or liquid.  I don't care how good you are chewing it. 

I'm not trying to be mean I'm worried more than anything.  You can really hurt your fresh suture line inside. 

What kinds of things are you eating?
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 10:17 am
Thank you for your concern, I know you aren't trying to be mean.  Yesterday over the course of the day all I had was 1/2 an omelet (1/4 for lunch, 1/4 for dinner), and a few spoonfuls of applesauce (to help me get my meds down), plus clear liquids.

Today, I tried to drink a protein shake and it made me nauseous, so I diluted it with water and put 30 cc's in my j-tube and it gave me diarrhea, so I won't have any more of that.  All I've had otherwise is water and Crystal Lite.

I think you're right and I'm going to go back on soft foods tomorrow if I feel up to eating again, for at least a few days.  Better safe than sorry. 
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 10:37 pm, edited 8/15/11 10:37 pm
pktwatch
on 8/15/11 10:58 pm
Congratulations, it sounds like you are doing great! I do have a question, why did they give you a NG tube, everyone does not get them do they? I just finished my nutrition class and they never said anything about the possibility of getting one.....................
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 11:42 am
Thank you!

I don't know why they gave me an NG tube, although Lisa told me that she got one also and that was her least favorite part of her experience also.  It's not unbearable, it's just a constant annoyance until it's removed.  I'm wondering now if other people have had them....
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 11:36 am
Thank you Tara!  I hope I do as well as you did, you are an inspiration to me!
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 10:05 am