Back home and doing great!

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 2:11 pm
This is my first time back on the internet since the 3rd, and I was so sad to discover that StephOinAZ died while I was away.   

I had my DS on the 5th with Dr. Anthone and he said my surgery was really easy and everything went well.  I did have a hard time waking up from the surgery, and I did have issues with my oxygen level going below 90% because I couldn't breathe very well. (I have severe sleep apnea and always have problems breathing.)  So I did go to the ICU for 2 days to recover and after that I did great.  I was in the hospital for 1 week total, and the whole nursing staff and Dr. Anthone were fantastic.

I got to meet my angel lisarn and she was so sweet!  We had a great conversation the evening before my surgery and she brought me some samples.  She also came to visit me in the hospital which was a bright spot in my days.

I vomited 2 times in the hospital as I was trying to adjust to solid foods.  I ate too much food too fast.  It was a miserable experience and something I try to avoid.  It hasn't happened since I've been home, thankfully, I've been very careful.  The worst part was the vomiting, the NG tube, and the constant finger sticks.  Oh, and definitely the heparin shots.  My bm's were greenish-black liquid stools several times a day the first couple of days I was on solids, now it's once or twice a day and they are more normal.  The amount and smell are tolerable, and I have not had an accident yet.

My pain is very manageable, I've only been taking 1 painkiller per day (before bed), and I've been up and walking around and sipping water.  Really, it's not bad, and it gets better every day.  My incision (open procedure) is healing well and so far looks good as far as scars go.  I've been handling solid foods great.  Today I had 1 slice of turkey bacon, 1 chicken tender, 1 cheeseburger patty w/o bun, and I put some diluted protein shake into my j-tube.  I actually have much less gas and bm's now than before my surgery (we'll see if it continues this way).

The day before surgery, I weighed 225, a gain of 2 lbs since my consult in Feb.  (I was supposed to lose 2 lbs, which I did then I gained it back again).  Then I did the bowel prep/laxative and weighed 222.5 lbs the morning of surgery.  I got up into the 230's during my hospital stay due to fluid weight.  Today I weighed 207.6!  I can't believe it!  Dr. Anthone gave me a common channel of 200 cm, and it seems to be working just fine!

I will try to figure out how to do a ticker when I have more time.  Right now my family and I are just so grateful that everything is going so well.  Thanks for reading!
lwoznick
on 8/15/11 2:31 pm - Green Bay, WI
Welcome back home! Glad to hear you're doing well and that you made it through your surgery and post-op recovery safely! And congrats on your weight loss success already! Wow!

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 11:16 am
Thank you!
nightowl
on 8/15/11 2:54 pm - Topeka, KS
Kewl! 
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 11:16 am
Thanx!
Diane Davis
on 8/15/11 2:55 pm
Wonderful news Kinzi, and thank you for reassuring me with your post with you just getting home.

You're wonderful, and I'm so happy things are going so well for you.  I hope I'm as brave as you have been!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 11:18 am
Thank you Diane!  You are a brave woman also and I was so glad to hear your surgery went well also!
goodkel
on 8/15/11 3:11 pm
Wonderful!

Congratulations on a successful surgery! Best wishes for a continued easy recovery!

Welcome to the Dark Side!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 11:19 am
Thank you!  I like the Dark Side!
teachmid
on 8/15/11 10:07 pm - OKC, OK
Sounds like you're doing well. Welcome to the dark side.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165