Scared Pre-op, can you Vets offer any words of wisdom?

Jolly Rancher
on 8/15/11 12:22 pm
You have two really good ones close to you. There is Dr. Inman in Indiana and Dr. McGuire in OH. From what I've read, you can't go wrong with either of those choices, and they are practically in your backyard.

Best of luck in your decision!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
RKLC2002
on 8/15/11 11:10 am - Omaha, NE
I completely understand your feelings.  I'm sitting here in shock that she was so young and had complications.    I know that I'll be scared sh**less before the surgery even without this knowledge.  I bawled like a 2 year old when I had some unexpected surgery 6 years ago. 

But, this board gives us the information to give encouragement and explain the risks and rewards.

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

butercup
on 8/15/11 11:23 am, edited 8/14/11 11:24 pm - Kennewick, WA
I am a virgin DSer too and I know how you feel. She was her surgeons FIRST DS patient unassisted. Let alone that she was a revision. She was under the impression that he was experienced. Dr. Husted bailed and was supposed to do her surgery and left Dr. Juarez high and dry. Instead of calling it off, his ego got the better of him. The ego part is my opinion.

I asked her not to continue and to even choose my surgeon. He has band to DS revisions under his belt and he is a very good surgeon. She even had contacted them and had them on stand by. Stephanie already had a support base in Washington, she just didn't want to wait. She was tired of being held prisoner of her body. I asked her to wait and she didn't. Lots of people asked her to wait. If we pushed harder, she would've pushed us away.

I know that there are risks in any surgery, but they are FAR less with a vetted surgeon. IF you have chosen a good surgeon, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

There may even be a chance that it wasn't the surgeon's fault and it was other cir****tances lying in wait.
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 12:00 pm
 I understand all the fears, but until any or all of you know "Why" she passed, it's really a bit crazy to accuse her surgeon anything short of neglect. I have no idea who he is but it's just not right. Her heart could have stopped or many many things can happen to a surgical patient that has nothing to do with what kind of surgery was done.
We all know that, or at least should know.
Any time there is surgery done there is also a calculated risk that you are taking. 

It's extremely sad that Stephanie passed away, it just makes me sick to my stomach that some one so young would die. 
Lori F.
on 8/15/11 2:15 pm - Chula Vista, CA
RIP Stephanie. She gave me the idea of paying for my own band removal...I'm a band to DS wannabe and I am also now freaking out. Death is a very real possibility for any of us. I don't want to leave my kids alone... this is so hard. I am trying to focus on my excellent choice of surgeon- that HAS to be the difference.
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 2:19 pm - TX
Thanks Des, for posting this!  I could have written your post!  I am now terrified.  I have no other co-morbidities either and while my brain knows it is just a matter of time before my obesity truly affects my health....I keep thinking....I have made it this long!!   I want the DS for "other than health" reasons.....like jumping rope with my twin girls who are 6, or fitting on a roller coaster ride with my 2 boys whom are 12 and 9.   If I die from an elective surgery then they won't have a mother at all?  Will they understand this?  OMG!!   I have faith in my surgeon though I can't check his stats....I haven't heard anything negative......but I think I would feel better with either of those two vetted ones out in CA!!!     Oh lord I keep praying for peace......for myself....for Steph's family.....and for all of the other "pre-ops"!

On a side note.....how many members of OH have died from complications of DS?  Anybody know?
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 2:30 pm - Beverly, NJ
They've postponed the autopsy until they 17th. Even with those results there is a very real chance we may never know why she passed.

I think in the heat of the moment, when emotions are high we are all very angry and sad and want to point fingers at the first thing that makes sense which in this case is the surgeon. Honestly though it may very well not be his fault as very well as it could of been. Deep down I feel as though he was simply not experienced enough for her revision. Possibly for a virgin DS but a revision? I know skilled surgeons who won't do them. For a newbie to think he could perform one bothers me. but I wasn't in that surgical suite so I may never know.

As a recent post-op I can't imagine how the pre-ops must feel with this information. I can only offer this little bit of advice. Make sure you have picked the best surgeon you can. Make sure you are comfortable with their experience and rates. Research all you can. When you think you know all you can about a surgeon look again. While you're doing all this research do everything you can to make sure your body is prepared for surgery.

The complication rate for the DS is drastically decreased when these things are taken into consideration. There will always be a risk. There is also a risk to walk down the street, drive in our cars and even to do the most simplest of every day tasks. I personally would rather take the risk of surgery knowing it will assist me in such a life changing way.

At all pre-ops disposal is a huge collection of posts containing experiences from vets all over the country (and world). Use it wisely. Use Google to advance search the forums, this is by far the best trick I have learned. When in doubt ALWAYS post to the forum. Don't let a moment go by that your unsure of your procedure. The vets are on here for more than just enjoyment. They continuously pay it forward to every newbie they can. Listen to what they have to say and remember these two things: 1. Don't be offended by their approach, it is meant as a lesson not an insult 2. They are here because they care and they WANT to help.

Research doesn't stop on these forums. It should continued on FaceBook, through blogs, DSFacts, and Surgeon license searches.

Stephanies passing is tragic and nothing can take away the pain we all feel from losing her. But what we can do is use her passing for good. Let her lead by example.
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/15/11 3:41 pm
I'm part of the virgin DSrs crew here too.  I totally get your concerns and I appreciate you posting this thread.  I have 2 young daughters--6 years and 17 months.  The thought of losing them without warning because of a surgery I ELECTED to do is terribly frightening.  Also, I can't bare the thought of my husband having to raise them on his own--without my guidance, love, support.  But, I do know that I'm headed down a bad road healthwise as well.  I'm 36, I weigh 250 now, I have PCOS (also insulin resistant-sista!) and am also diabetic--though totally controlled through oral meds.  I am 5ft5 so my bmi is around 41.  The heavier I get, the less I can move around--I walk about 2 miles every day and I still don't lose weight.  But I am scared to stop moving because I don't want to get even heavier and thus get more complications. 

I know what it's like to be thin.  I was fat most of my childhood and teen years. I got thin at around 20 and really started living my life then.  With age and children  the PCOS caught up with me (and the familial history of Diabetes as well)  and now I feel stuck back up here in the mid 200s.  The thing is, that as a mother, I don't feel that I'm being that mom I always invisioned that I'd be.  I'm not reaching my fullest potential. I can't climb around and move and play like I'd like.  I'm always preoccupied with how uncomfortable I feel--with the rolls of skin or rubbing fat against my waistband or thighs.  A BIG motivator for me is that I hope to be able to really PLAY with my kids--like I'd always wanted to do.  I don't want them to remember a mom who just gave up and didn't do what she could to be a part of their lives to the best of my ability.

Where I'm going with this is, for me, the potential benifits outweigh the potential risks.  I don't have any false ideas that I'll be fine and that there will be no complications.  But as my good friend Bookfaerie told me today, I'll make sure that before surgery my children are told over and over again how much their mama loves them, how I did this so that I could be a better person and a better mama. 

I'm also "healthy" and not sick like so many others who get this surgery are.  My surgeon actually said he wished he'd had more patients like Bookfaerie and I who are "lightweights" who are relatively healthy and active.  So, I'm going to gamble and bet on the DS. 

Stephanie will be missed--and we'll soon find out what went wrong.  Words can't do justice how awful we all feel about her passing.  But I won't let it dissuade me from the DS. It only makes me more grateful for what I've got and to be more present as these next few months pass.

Sorry for the rant.

Sher
Sher--the bear mama

goodkel
on 8/15/11 4:00 pm
I wanted to add my reply to Joanne's post here. Since I quoted her, I didn't want the OP or people only reading the last posts to miss it. Sorry to those who already caught it:

The only thing I would add is that besides their proven expertise with the DS, our vetted surgeons are also highly experienced in dealing with the co-morbidities that morbidly obese people often present.

Surgeons who are vetted are more capable of handling complications that may arise because of heart, blood pressure, breathing, and other problems related to morbid obesity.

Even if a novice DS surgeon executes a picture perfect DS surgery, if he can't handle obesity related emergencies swiftly and expertly, he is still dangerous. And there's nothing but experience under fire that can provide that expertise.

Your chance of a successful surgery is directly related to the quality of your surgeon.

Imissthe80s: Why would you want to wait until your health deteriorated, thereby increasing your risk, to have the DS? The safest time for any surgery is when you are in GOOD health.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Imissthe80s
on 8/16/11 1:33 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Kel- What you've said here about the co-morbs is something that hadn't occured to me.  Surgery, even for the healthiest of patients poses risks, add deadly co-morbs and you have a potenial molotov ****tail in your hands.  Surgery puts the body under intense stress and some bodies just can't handle it.  One of the smartest things we can do, though, and something that we do have control over is our choice in surgeon, that way risk is hopefully minimized; however, we can't choose whether or not our bodies give out during or after surgery.  Unfortunately, there is no test run here to find that out. 

Anyway, I know, I'm already becoming a ticking time bomb here, ticking more loudly each day as I stay in this body.  And yes, "the safest time for any surgery is when you are in GOOD health."