Scared Pre-op, can you Vets offer any words of wisdom?

goodkel
on 8/15/11 3:37 pm
On August 15, 2011 at 5:08 PM Pacific Time, Joanne B. wrote:
I had my surgery two years ago, and was shaken by Stephanie's story.  We may never know the full reason as to her complications and passing.  What I do know is that your best odds of doing well with surgery are to be as healthy as you can be before surgery, and to make sure that you choose a qualified surgeon from the list of vetted surgeons at www.dsfacts.com.  You hear vets say that repeatedly, and for good reason.

It's important to understand that even when you do everything right, sometimes, even in the best of hands, things can go wrong.  If any surgeon tells you there is no risk I would find a new surgeon.  But you have to think of it this way - your odds of dying prematurely from staying morbidly obese are far greater than your odds of dying from surgery.  It's just that we dont think about that on a daily basis - we all are/were slowly dying from our obesity, and we all are/were ticking time bombs for illness from obesity.  Surgery puts a definiitive time/date stamp on our worries and makes us face them, but the truth is you are living with risk today due to obesity,

I dont know if that makes you feel any better.  You probably want someone to tell you not to worry and that everything will be ok.  If you are reasonably healthy, and you chose an experienced surgeon (I dont see a surgeon listed on your profile), I would say, yes, I think you will be just fine....but you also need to understand at some level you are taking a risk.  An educated, informed, and hopefully very low risk - and a less risky option than staying obese - but still a risk.

I had to quote you because I second everything you've written here.

The only thing I would add is that besides their proven expertise with the DS, our vetted surgeons are also highly experienced in dealing with the co-morbidities that morbidly obese people often present.

Surgeons who are vetted are more capable of handling complications that may arise because of heart, blood pressure, breathing, and other problems related to morbid obesity.

Even if a novice DS surgeon executes a picture perfect DS surgery, if he can't handle obesity related emergencies swiftly and expertly, he is still dangerous. And there's nothing but experience under fire that can provide that expertise.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Emily F.
on 8/15/11 10:10 am
Welp, I was nervous going to surgery in Mexico never have met my surgeon or any surgeon beforehand. In the month following my surgery, there was another out of country ds which almost died from a complication, was in a coma, and spent months in the surgery and she is still dealing w a hole in her stomach. Also, a man had a complication, I can't remember now what it was but was very very serious. I even wrote in my blog I was so grateful, I went first bc I doubt I would have gone through with it if those two had gone before me.

All I can tell you, is to have faith in your surgeon and your decision. I was 100% sure the ds would save my life.
Nissa_M
on 8/15/11 10:14 am - TX
I'm a pre-op too, scheduled to be switched a week from Wednesday with Dr. Stewart. This totally freaked me out, as a mom of 3 young children it's especially hard. I have prayed about it though and I still WANT this surgery. I still have faith in God and in Dr. Stewart and I just know that I can't do it alone. I need this tool. I am pretty healthy also, I am not diabetic, no high blood pressure, no sleep apnea. I do however have insulin resistance, pcos, and hypothyroid. The weight loss odds are stacked against me with those issues and I refuse to stay where I am at.

You can only decide for yourself, not everyone prays, but it helped me. I've also been reading everything I can find on the surgery and my surgeon. If I'm reading correctly Dr. Stewart's overall complication rate is 0.2% for all four of the surgeries he does. Pretty impressive. Read, read, read, and if you do it, pray! HUGS!
NoMore B.
on 8/15/11 10:18 am
You are in excellent hands with Dr Stewart, truly one of the best. 
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 10:36 am
I'm so glad you posted this, I am feeling the same way.  As a band to DS revision, I followed Stephanie's post and chatted with her.  To see her gone has rocked me to my core. 

My kids are older but still need me.  The thought of anything happening to me and having them on their own is just so overwhelming. 

I did my research on the surgery and the surgeon but *****ally knows?  I mean I think I made a good choice with Dr. Sudan but is it?  I tried to search for negative posts but couldn't find any.  Doesn't mean people haven't had bad experiences though.

While I know that mysteriously disappearing Dr. Hustead was supposed to assist, I'm only assuming that Dr. Juarez wasn't experienced in DS.  I know he had been a surgeon for many years.  We may never know what caused Stephanie's passing.

I had tears when I heard and now I'm angry.  And frightened.  Angry that she went so needlessly when she was such a light.  Frightened that something bad could happen to me. 

Such an odd mix of emotions....
Imissthe80s
on 8/15/11 11:04 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 Lynmarie- I thought it was important to have a thread where all of us pre-ops could come and voice our worries.  I was thinking especially of you band to DSers who may be shaken up by this.  It's something we all have to process in our own way and figure out for ourselves how we wish to proceed.  I know Jody has her revision tomorrow and I believe from what I've gathered that she is in good hands and am hopeful she will be A Okay, it's just terribly sad Stephanie was not in such good hands.  Of course, I don't know the full scope of the situation and none of do right now, but it doesn't sound good at all.

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 12:03 pm, edited 8/15/11 12:05 pm - Yorktown, VA
I had the DS with Dr. Sudan almost 2 years ago now (wow!) and did extensive research and did not come across anything negative about him.  (The office staff at Duke is another story, but they are not operating on me, so I could deal with them to get to him.) 

I specifically asked him about his complication rates, deaths, etc.  What I recall was that he had no DS deaths.  He had 1 RNY patient die from a brian anuerism that was not directly related to the RNY surgery, but that he still has to acknowledge becuase it occured within 30 days of surgery (or something to that effect - like I said this conversation was 2 years ago).

He is very experienced and very thorough with following up and ensuring all is well after surgery.  My only concern would be if he had plans to travel soon after my surgery, since he is the only one there who does the DS.  (Terri Lynne here on OH had this happen and another surgeon went in and made a complication worse when trying to fix it.)

I truly believe you are in good hands! 

ETA:  Dr. Sudan is also experienced in band to DS revisions and if he thinks the revision is taking too long or there is any need, he will stop at the VSG and continue the DS portion later.  I know this isn't something we want, but if he feels it is best and safest for you, then he will make that decision and knowing that should make you feel better, too.

Do you have a date yet?
Imissthe80s
on 8/16/11 1:03 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Tessy- I don't have a date yet and am still mulling over a few different surgeon's in my area.  pIcking a surgeon is a little overwhelming, but the ones I am looking at are on the DSfacts list an I see their names here on the boards, but nothing is bullet proof when it comes to the DS, or surgery in general for that matter.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/15/11 10:49 am, edited 8/15/11 11:19 am
I'm really sad to hear about Stephanie too

There is always some risk involved with any surgery, but there is even more risk to your health staying obese in the long run. Just keep in mind that surgery is the chance towards a healthy life where you will be there in better health for your family. Also try to view the surgery as a means to an end, this can help keep things in perspective. Your goal isn't surgery per se, it's to leave obesity in the dust so you have a bettter quality of life and health.

The only other advice I can give has already been mentioned: make sure you get a vetted surgeon and arrange for proper aftercare and nutrition guidance. When in doubt, always ask the DS vets on these boards about the surgeons you are considering. Reviews that have been doctored up, and marketing material can often be mistaken for actual testimonials from real people! Instead seek word of mouth recommendations from these boards instead of a well written ad on the doctor's website.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Imissthe80s
on 8/15/11 11:06 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 Bee- Roger that for all you have said.  Once I choose my surgeon, you all will be the first to hear about it!