Scared Pre-op, can you Vets offer any words of wisdom?

Imissthe80s
on 8/15/11 9:23 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 After reading of Stephanie's (StephOinAz) passing, I have to say as a virgin DSer, I am a little shaken and I can't imagine how the band to DS revision pre-ops are feeling right now, as Stephanie was a band to DS revision.  Can any of you vets out there offer words of wisdom or encouragement for us scared pre-ops? At this moment, I don't know if I should proceed with surgery as I am still relatively "healthy" and not as sick as many folks become before getting to the point of needing surgery or else.

MajorMom
on 8/15/11 9:35 am - VA
The healthier you are going in to this, the safer it will be for you. If you qualify now without a lot of comorbidities, it's probably as safe as it's going to get. I know you're in a tough spot emotionally right now. Work it out in a way that works for you. ((hugs))

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Imissthe80s
on 8/15/11 9:58 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Thanks for the hugs, Gina.  As stupid and ridiculous as this is gonna sound, I almost wish I was a full blown diabetic(pre-diabetes now) or somehow sicker so that this decision would be a no brainer.  I'm not saying that at all to be offensive to anyone, so please don't take it that way.

MajorMom
on 8/15/11 10:05 am - VA
I understand.   

Get yourself as healthy as you're able pre-op...vitamins, protein, lung exercises, walking, leaning push-ups. Go in there determined and ready. You've done your homework and selected the best surgeon and you trust him/her, yes?  Hang tough.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

k9ophile
on 8/16/11 4:04 am
On August 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM Pacific Time, MajorMom wrote:
I understand.   

Get yourself as healthy as you're able pre-op...vitamins, protein, lung exercises, walking, leaning push-ups. Go in there determined and ready. You've done your homework and selected the best surgeon and you trust him/her, yes?  Hang tough.

Gina is 110% right!  I just got home from my first post-op appointment after my knee replacement and the surgeon is very impressed with my progress.  My DS was my first major surgery.  While ultimately I came through it great, the first few weeks were full of little bumps.  I did pre-hab exercises, upped my protein, and several other little things for this second major surgery and it has made a big impact.  This is a head game as well as a physical challenge.  I came to win and I am leading in the first half.  (Excuse the sports analogy, but the surgeon said after what I've accomplished in the first two weeks, I will be ready to go back to work in two more.)

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 9:41 am
DS on 02/01/12
I'm in the same position you are. I've nearly cried several times over the past couple of days in regards to Stephanie. I have an 11 month old son and a husband. The thought of something happening to me and leaving them behind is more than I can bare. I know that if I don't get the surgery, then it'll be worse in the long-run for all of us, as my health will continue to deteriorate. Saying lots of prayers now; for Stephanie's loved ones and for the rest of us who are working on getting switched.
Imissthe80s
on 8/15/11 9:55 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 Oh, Erika, I can't imagine how hard this decision is for you having a little one and all.  I wish you luck and love on your journey.  This decision is one of the hardest, so far, that I've ever had to consider.

NoMore B.
on 8/15/11 10:08 am, edited 8/15/11 10:12 am
I had my surgery two years ago, and was shaken by Stephanie's story.  We may never know the full reason as to her complications and passing.  What I do know is that your best odds of doing well with surgery are to be as healthy as you can be before surgery, and to make sure that you choose a qualified surgeon from the list of vetted surgeons at www.dsfacts.com.  You hear vets say that repeatedly, and for good reason.

It's important to understand that even when you do everything right, sometimes, even in the best of hands, things can go wrong.  If any surgeon tells you there is no risk I would find a new surgeon.  But you have to think of it this way - your odds of dying prematurely from staying morbidly obese are far greater than your odds of dying from surgery.  It's just that we dont think about that on a daily basis - we all are/were slowly dying from our obesity, and we all are/were ticking time bombs for illness from obesity.  Surgery puts a definiitive time/date stamp on our worries and makes us face them, but the truth is you are living with risk today due to obesity,

I dont know if that makes you feel any better.  You probably want someone to tell you not to worry and that everything will be ok.  If you are reasonably healthy, and you chose an experienced surgeon (I dont see a surgeon listed on your profile), I would say, yes, I think you will be just fine....but you also need to understand at some level you are taking a risk.  An educated, informed, and hopefully very low risk - and a less risky option than staying obese - but still a risk.

Imissthe80s
on 8/15/11 10:32 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 Joanne- I have not chosen a surgeon yet, and am in the process of doing so, and yes, I am only considering surgeons who are on the DSfacts list.  Even that doesn't guarantee no risk and of course nothing is "no risk".  I mean, my body could rebel on its own after surgery and that would be no one's fault.

NoMore B.
on 8/15/11 11:15 am
Yup, you're right....and we could all get in a car accident tomorrow - there are just no guarantees. 

But you are doing the right thing - educate yourself, choose wisely, etc.  It's perfectly normal to be nervous, especially with what happened to Stephanie weighing so heavily on our minds.  If you werent nervous there'd be something wrong.