Stephanie Capek (StephanieAZ)

Renee2007
on 8/15/11 2:23 am - Central, FL
 Just so heartbreaking =(  My thoughts go out to her loved ones.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Panda ..
on 8/15/11 2:31 am
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/15/11 2:48 am - Tuvalu

Ther "mortality rate" should apply to experienced surgeons who know what they are doing.  That is not the case in this situation.
* Gail R *
on 8/15/11 2:38 am - SF Bay Area, CA
What a tragedy. I feel terrible for her family and friends. I wish there were more qualified DS surgeons so that everyone has access to the best.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

callmeEJ
on 8/15/11 2:59 am - Minneapolis, MN
This is so sad. My heart goes out to her family and friends.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/15/11 3:06 am
I remember when she was posting about writing letters to her family and friends before surgery--just in case she didn't wake up.  She said she wondered if it was "morbid".  I said it was being realistic.  Joianne, if you could, I wondered if you forwarded the posting, "Morbid Anyone" by Stephanie to her boyfriend.  It shows just how much she thought about her family and realized that there was a definite possibility of death with this surgery.  

She seemed like such a sweet person.  I'm so saddened and I didn't even know her--it's brought me to tears.  And it brings me to the reality that all surgeries come with definite risks.

She'll be in my thoughts for some time.

Sher--the bear mama

Band to DS
on 8/15/11 3:36 am, edited 2/3/12 10:38 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

PattyL
on 8/15/11 3:44 am
 So young and hopeful.  I'm so sorry for her family and loved ones.
butercup
on 8/15/11 3:53 am - Kennewick, WA
Update-

This is on the OH facebook page.  It's written by her boyfriend.

I'm sorry to be doing this from Stephanie's profile but it's the only way I can see everything that is going on with her groups and friends. I don't see that I have gotten a private message from you but I can tell you all I know at the moment. Stephanie had her surgery and came back from recovery and was put in her room. Her heart rate was elevated so they were monitoring her. It continued over that night and the next whole day to rise even when they were trying to lower it and treat her. Her pain became worse and on Saturday morning, they moved her to the ICU where Dr. Fang was going to perform exploratory on her to see if it was something that went wrong with the procedure. She was so bad in the ICU.. all I could do was sit there next to her bed and hold her hand and cry and tell her how much I loved her. I'm not sure if she was even aware I was there because she was so out of it but I pray that she was able to hear and feel me. When they took her off to surgery, they didn't get a chance to put her under because she coded when they laid her out on the table. The tried to resusciate her for 40 minutes and were not able to bring her back. Right now her family and I are still in shock and disbelief but it's setting in.. I miss her so much already because she is my whole world and I love her more than anything or anyone. We are all waiting on her autopsy and trust me I will make sure people know what they did to her if someone is responsible. Please keep Stephanie in your hearts and thoughts because she was one of the most amazing people ever put on this earth. She wanted nothing more than to be healthy and happy for the rest of her life and that was taken from her so wrongly.

Sorry that I don't know how to link to that particular facebook thread.

lwoznick
on 8/15/11 4:05 am - Green Bay, WI
What a terrible tragedy! It sounds like she suffered so much after coming out of recovery. I feel for her boyfriend and family to have to deal with an outcome like this. What an awful situation to have to endure. My thoughts and prayers certainly go out to them. It certainly does make you realize the seriousness of this procedure and the importance of using a vetted surgeon. I'm scheduled for a revision on Sept. 6 with one of the vetted surgeons and it still makes me a bit anxious when I think about poor Stephanie's outcome. I certainly hope her surgeon is held accountable if he's deemed to be at fault. RIP, Stephanie and my prayers go out to your boyfriend and family!