Disappointed by the Surgeon

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 1:31 pm - San Jose, CA
Rabkin or Keshishian.  Avoid Jossart or Cirangle.  And their former buddy Feng SAYS he does the DS on his site, but DOESN'T do it if you call and ask.

By the way, Jossart put a Lapband on my 30 y.o. personal trainer at a BMI of 33, cash on the barrelhead.  But he doesn't feel comfortable doing a modified DS on someone who has yoyoed for years?  Pffttt.
grdn_grl
on 8/12/11 1:39 pm
Hmmm, good to know!!!  Thanks for the info - I'm really leaning on a second opinion with Keshishian because he takes my insurance.  I'm pretty sure Rabkin's office does not but I'll double check.

Appreciate the pffttt!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 2:14 pm
Ok, I'm an inch taller than you are, and weighed 238 on the day of my DS.  I was still considered a lightweight.  Dr. Stewart had no problem doing a DS revision on me from the crapband.  There's no reason you shouldn't have the DS, considering you qualify for wls in the first place.  I currently weigh, 118, which puts me right in the middle of "normal" for my height.  Chances are, you won't end up in your 125-130 range, but that's ok!  You and I are vertically challenged, so we should weigh less than our lucky friends with long legs! :)  I'd get another opinion, if I were you.  Don't be afraid to travel for surgery, either!  I traveled from Wyoming to Texas for my DS.  Totally worth it!
grdn_grl
on 8/12/11 2:54 pm

Yep, vertically challenged I am!!  I've been down to 114 during divorce i***** - pretty thin but not really skinny so that would be OK.  I'm 56 so I worry about the saggy skin thing but I've had good luck with that so far and I can deal with that if/when it happens.

Thanks for the support, I totally qualify and I feel like the weight is taking the life out of me - I'm a young 56 and used to pass for much younger . . . sigh.

I'll be posting what happens . . . thanks!!!

Wendy

MiissOre0
on 8/12/11 7:13 pm - pennsauken, NJ
I would definitely look into getting a second opinion..Find another surgeon. I hope everything works for you.

This is a start of a new beginning..hw/cw/gw 600/200/175

MajorMom
on 8/12/11 7:45 pm - VA
I think we're almost twins! lol  My highest was 195 and I'm 5'1". I have a standard 100cm common channel but and my body stopped losing on its own right in the middle of the normal BMI range. Don't let folks, including a doc, use scare tactics to lure you away from the DS. If you want to negotiate a little bit longer common channel, that's fine but the DS for a lightweight is good too. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

southernlady5464
on 8/12/11 11:51 pm
Wendy,

Go for the DS but make sure you listen to the vets about who can do a revision...it will make a difference.

While not as short as you are, my BMI was even less and I have done fine with the DS...

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/11 12:04 am
And you really don't want the RNY. I suffered with mine for six long years. It sucked.
larra
on 8/13/11 12:38 am - bay area, CA
Dr. Jossart, and the other surgeons he used to be with, are known for pushing the sleeve and dissing the DS, even though they are quite capable of doing it. Good surgeons, poor attitude, I say.
     If Dr. Rabkin or Dr. Keshishian are available to you, they are the ones to contact. I think you will find a completely different attitude with either of them, and both are also excellent surgeons.
     There is another thread going right now, someone back East who is also seeking revision from a failed lap band - and keep in mind that it's the band that failed, not you. She too was questioning sleeve vs DS, and I would say to anyone in this position that there is no point in going from one failed restrictive operation to another purely restrictive operation. Remember that old sort of joke about the definition of crazy being doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? 

Larra
Mom4Jazz
on 8/13/11 2:41 am
Late reply here.

I'm a sleeve patient who is very happy with my sleeve and my results. I say that to put the following advice in context:

There are a lot of successful band to sleeve revisions. I've noticed, though, that these tend to be people *****vised because of mechanical problems with the band (not uncommon) rather than for reasons of non-loss.

If your main problem with the band is non-loss, I would have serious concerns if another restriction-only operation is the right way for you to go. Is the sleeve a better surgery than the band? Absolutely yes! But restriction-only is NOT the answer for everyone. This revision may be your final shot, and that's a concern you really want to see addressed.

Since I wouldn't recommend an RNY to anyone, that leaves the DS, regardless of your current weight.

I wouldn't make any decision in your shoes until I had at least consulted with a qualified DS surgeon.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012