Disappointed by the Surgeon

grdn_grl
on 8/12/11 1:45 pm
Hi, I have looked at the lightweight board and posted a hello before I knew what Jossart said.  I'll post over there too and see what I can gleen.

Thanks for the specifics, that really helps a lot!!

Wendy
MajorMom
on 8/12/11 8:50 pm - VA
Many of us lightweights had several comorbidities forcing us to make tough decisions. It's wasn't just about losing weight or living with a few extra pounds. Sorry, but yes, I'm taking offense. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Generic User_Name
on 8/12/11 11:10 pm
 Please don't take this the wrong way Lisa.  Who made you the arbiter as to who should or should not get a DS?

southernlady5464
on 8/12/11 11:46 pm
On August 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM Pacific Time, Lisa A. wrote:
Please, please don't take this the wrong way. But do you think at 198 lbs you are big enough to have the DS? It is really a personal choice but I would not have had it if I was only 198 lbs. You really don't have that much weight to lose on your own. I know I'm 5'2 and years ago when I lost weight on my own I got down to 189 lbs and I looked okay.

Jeeze... I don't know if I'd go through all the stuff you do with DS if I didn't weight that much.
Just wanted to give my opion and it's only mine.
Lisa, your opinion about who qualifies for the DS by weight alone is one of the reasons those of us who ARE LW's have trouble getting it...many surgeons share that opinion and think only those who have a 50+ BMI qualify...

Well, I am sorry but you and those surgeons are wrong. Thankfully there are surgeons who think outside the box and realize that altho we are lw's, we still deserve the same chnace as those who weigh more.

I am 5'4' and weighed 203 when I first say my surgeon. My BMI was 35.2 I only had about 70 lbs to lose but my insurance company AND a surgeon agreed that the DS was my BEST option.

I also take offense about your remark about who qualifies and who doesn't.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MacMadame
on 8/13/11 5:00 am - Northern, CA
On August 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM Pacific Time, Lisa A. wrote:
Please, please don't take this the wrong way. But do you think at 198 lbs you are big enough to have the DS? It is really a personal choice but I would not have had it if I was only 198 lbs. You really don't have that much weight to lose on your own. I know I'm 5'2 and years ago when I lost weight on my own I got down to 189 lbs and I looked okay.

Jeeze... I don't know if I'd go through all the stuff you do with DS if I didn't weight that much.
Just wanted to give my opion and it's only mine.
Starting weight is just one of the considerations when picking a surgery type. It's not the be-all and end-all of the discussion.

You have to consider co-morbidities, activity levels, how easily you lose weight, why you gain it back and what lifestyle changes are acceptable to you. I think those things are all more important considerations than starting weight.

The only time I'd consider starting weight as the most important consideration is if your BMI is 60+. You have to have a pretty special set of cir****tances for the DS not to be the best choice for you with a BMI that high. And even then I know someone whose BMI was much higher who has lost all his excess weight with a VSG alone. (He had those special cir****tances.)

So, if a VSG can be the right surgery for someone who weighs over 600 pounds, I don't see why the DS can't be the right surgery for someone who weighs less than 200. It just depends on all those other considerations.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 1:07 pm
grdn_grl
on 8/12/11 1:15 pm
Thanks, I appreciate the response - I know it's bad to 'bash' anyone elses surgery choice and I don't mean to but I just don't want an RNY.  The surgeon who put my lapband in said he would do one but I have heard too many problems arising later from people I know who had one.
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 1:17 pm
goodkel
on 8/12/11 1:11 pm
Find another surgeon.

The requirements for the DS are the same as any other WLS: 35 BMI with two comorbidities, 40 BMI without. We have many lightweights who have not lost too much weight.

And you obviously already know that restriction alone won't help you or keep the lost weight off
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

grdn_grl
on 8/12/11 1:18 pm
Yes!!  I could even lose more than 30 if I used pills BUT it is not permanent . . . I have lost and gained so much weight in my lifetime - up and down, and then up a little more.

Thank you - I really appreciate the response . . . the lapband was no walk in the park, I vomited, foamed and all kinds of other disgusting things even when chewing 30 times and eating the 'right' food.  Got to where I was afraid to eat chicken, I ate tuna salad chopped up with a vegie chopper as if I didn't have any teeth.  Was done with that for sure.

Thanks again!!

Wendy