Disappointed by the Surgeon

grdn_grl
on 8/12/11 12:33 pm
Hello, I'm rather new but have lurked for a while.

I am a lap band non-loser and had the band removed December 2010.  My BMI is 37.4, I'm 5' 1" and 198 lbs.

Since December, I have been trying to decide what to do and finally decided on a DS - this is what I wanted when I had the band put in but bought the hype about 'non-invasive' - ha!!!

I went to a consultation with Dr. Jossart (I'm in CA) but he said he didn't want to do anything on me except a sleeve.  I'm afraid because the restriction of food didn't work with the lapband that another restriction only won't work either. 

What do you experienced DS'rs think about this?  I'm small boned and really need to weight about 125-130 to be comfortable.

Thanks,  Wendy
beemerbeeper
on 8/12/11 12:43 pm - AL
See another surgeon.  You've already had one restrictive only surgery that failed you. 

There are plenty of light weights here who are successful and healthy with our DS. 

~Becky

grdn_grl
on 8/12/11 1:08 pm
Thank you, I am considering getting another opinion - I see there are lightweights who are similar to me in height and weight . . . he kind of scared me, telling me I could be standing in his office in 7 months weighing 75 lbs needing a revision.

So, I'm still trying to figure it out, which is why I posted.  Thanks for responding!!

Wendy
beemerbeeper
on 8/12/11 1:49 pm - AL
Oh what bull****  If you qualify for ANY WLS you qualify for the DS.  You have to take care of yourself with the DS but your starting weight doesn't have anything to do with that.

I only needed to loose less than 100 lbs when I had my DS.  My surgery weight was 242 and my goal was 159.

So just do your research and find another surgeon.

We are here to help.

~Becky

grdn_grl
on 8/12/11 2:49 pm
Great thanks for the support - I'm pretty sure I won't have any trouble with insurance, they covered the lapband (what a mistake) . . . I can manage taking care of myself, I've been reading about all the labs and supplements . . . I'm going to make some calls. 

Thanks!!
Lisa A.
on 8/12/11 12:54 pm - Windsor, NY
Please, please don't take this the wrong way. But do you think at 198 lbs you are big enough to have the DS? It is really a personal choice but I would not have had it if I was only 198 lbs. You really don't have that much weight to lose on your own. I know I'm 5'2 and years ago when I lost weight on my own I got down to 189 lbs and I looked okay.

Jeeze... I don't know if I'd go through all the stuff you do with DS if I didn't weight that much.
Just wanted to give my opion and it's only mine.

grdn_grl
on 8/12/11 1:06 pm
I hear what you are saying, not offended at all.  I have dieted myself fat over the course of my life - lose 20, gain 25 etc.  I have co-morbs, not diabetic tho.  I might be able to lose 30 lbs but I know it won't stay off - that's what happened with the band, I lost 30 and it just stopped.  I know that's what would happen via dieting -

I'm frustrated . . . I don't want to get too skinny either - and I know it is really hard, I just need to weigh a lot less and stay that way.

Thanks for your response, point taken.
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 1:10 pm
grdn_grl
on 8/12/11 1:22 pm
I heard that the surgeon can make the common channel different lengths - that would be a good question for a second consultation.

Thanks!!
ModestoK
on 8/12/11 1:37 pm
Yes, they can customize both the stomach and common channel to best suit the patient.
Although many of Dr. Rabkin's patients received a 100 common channel, some have shorter and some have longer. 
I am naturally built like a brick ****house - huge shoulders, bigger boned, and muscular.   I wanted a slightly smaller stomach (5 oz.) and longer, 125 CC.  
This is probably why I'm losing slower... but I didn't want to lose too much of my muscle mass.

Have you tried looking over at the lightweights board?   You also might want to connect up with Gina of Bites & Vites.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
                                      ~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi