Kaiser "No Options" Program

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 4:01 pm
Sheri-

Give 'em hell, lady!!!!

What is the DMHC?  Is that a California state office?
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/13/11 1:28 am
DMHC is the California Department of Managed Health Care.  They oversee the practices of insurance companies here in CA.  And they advocate on behalf of patients.

Thanks!
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 11:52 pm
You tell her Sheri! 

I'm telling you, they are going to regret making you do this!  They might already, you sassy thing!  ;)

I would keep raising my hand and saying "Well that's true for the RNY, but since that doesn't apply to my DS what's your advice to me?"  

Nightmare.  So sorry you're dealing with this. 

doggz109
on 8/13/11 12:04 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Where do they get these people?   Their nutritional advice is straight out of the 1970s.
larra
on 8/13/11 12:54 am - bay area, CA
Interesting...some of this advice isn't even good for RNY!
     People with RNY can eat red meat...they just need to avoid the fatty cuts of meat, use the extra low fat hamburger, etc. And they need to chew it like crazy so it won't get stuck at the stoma. 
     Both carbs and fat need to be limited with RNY, so her advice on carbs is totally off the mark. I was in NorCal Kaiser's program back before I wised up and got the DS, and the advice was quite different - it was 3 meals/day, no snacks, with each meal to feature a low fat form of protein, plus veggies if there was room, and maybe fruit. That was it. For life.
    Dumping - totally unpredictable. No one really knows what percentage of people with RNY will dump. I've seen numbers as far apart as 30% and 70%. Different people dump with different foods, different amounts of the same foods, etc. And dumping doesn't always include diarrhea. Her info was very superficial and not entirely accurate.
    The caffeine advice is because caffeine may be an appetite stimulant. How important that is, I don't know. I doubt this nutritionist knows either, she's just repeating the material she was told to repeat without any real understanding.
    Popcorn - bad for RNY as it can get stuck at the stoma. Hey, she got one right! even if she didn't explain why.

Apparently she is unaware of the 30% failure rate for RNY. And this is with the standard definition of "success" as losing just 50% of your excess weight. This is the number given to me by the RNY surgeon I saw at Kaiser, who acknowledged that he did see people who failed, and yes, it was devastating for these patients. While he and I didn't agree on everything, I remain very appreciative of his honesty. I believe this nutritionist doesn't mean to be dishonest, but she's very, very ignorant.

Larra
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/13/11 1:32 am
She said that the caffeine would irritate the sutures and also cause soars (I'm guessing ulcers?).  No word  about appetite stimulation.  But I thought that some appetite suppressants included caffeine because it helped SUPPRESS it.  I'll have to look this one up. 

I was annoyed that she didn't acknowledge the failure rate for the RNY.  At least the crazy nurse I dealt with said that their idea of success and our idea of success wouldn't be the same.  Geesh.
Sher--the bear mama

larra
on 8/13/11 8:17 am - bay area, CA
I would agree that caffeine would be irritating to the stomach immediately post-op while it's healing. and caffeine can interfere with ulcer healing...but I've never heard that it causes ulcers.
    It's found in some otc weight loss products because it increases your metabolic rate, at least temporarily. Does that mean it enhances weight loss? I don't think so! If it did, we could all get thin by guzzling coffee. Not gonna happen.

Yes, their idea of success is vastly different from yours. Lose 50% of your excess weight, even if you are still obese or MO - equals success to them. Well, not to me. I wonder, also, how long they follow their patients post-op. Many people do quite well for the first 12 - 18 months and either stall (despite continued compliance) or start regaining after that. If you only look at the fresh post-ops, you will see a lot more "success" than what patients really experience.

Larra