PSA: Whole boneless ribeye on sale @ Kroger for $4.97/lb

CharleeG
on 8/9/11 11:18 pm - Jonesboro, AR
USDA Choice. Make sure you watch them slice it. Last time, I asked for 1.5" thick and got 2"- 3" steaks. Wanker must have been tired of running the meat saw or something. It's a good deal though. They haven't been this cheap in a long time. The last 2-3 times it's been on sale, it's been more like $6-7/lb. Happy grilling!

sotto_voce
on 8/10/11 12:29 am - Alpharetta, GA
Hosting a big BBQ for the boyfriend's birthday this weekend. THANKS for the heads up and I'm heading there after work to pick up some steak and the yummy Carbmaster yogurt I can only get at Kroger.

Bethany

CharleeG
on 8/11/11 1:30 am - Jonesboro, AR
Glad to be of assistance! These big ol hunks of beef also roast up well whole, just FYI. If you have a big enough smoker, they come out obscenely delicious.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/10/11 1:01 am
*sigh*

i want to move so badly. Food costs in the big apple are outrageous. I'd never see prices that low around here, even when there's a sale prices are more like $12 a pound.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

CharleeG
on 8/11/11 1:29 am - Jonesboro, AR
Oh my, that's dreadful. The cost of living in AR is one of the few benefits of living in such a bassackwards place.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/11/11 10:24 am
NYC is pretty backwards, too Oh I could tell ya stories!

I'm relocating to Tennessee or Texas by next spring, and I'm looking forward to affordable prime rib!
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

LuckyLibrarian
on 8/10/11 9:41 am - Plumerville, AR
Hi there neighbor! Where did you go for surgery?I'm still looking for the right surgeon.
CharleeG
on 8/11/11 1:28 am - Jonesboro, AR
Well, howdy do! I went to Dr. Hugh Houston in Nashville, TN. The other, drive-able option for us Arkies is Dr. Stewart in Denton, TX.

mariposantos
on 8/10/11 10:58 am - Raleigh, NC

I usually just buy the pre-packaged steaks if they are a good deal, but am trying to learn more about buying meat.

Can you educate me a little about the difference between what you would buy pre-packaged (and already sliced) at Kroger versus asking them to slice it for you?  Also, what do you base your decision on about how thick you want it cut (1.5" vs. 2-3")?  Any other advice you can offer about buying meat?

I grew up around mostly vegetarians, but I LOVE MEAT!  So, I'm trying to learn as much as I can from my fellow DS'ers.

Pamela

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."  ~  Henry Ford  ~

CharleeG
on 8/11/11 1:25 am - Jonesboro, AR
Hey Pamela, the main reason I watch for this particular deal is the ribeyes are usually $13.99/lb. When they're on sale, the pre-packaged are about $7/lb. If you buy a whole ribeye, it's $2/lb less. I will buy 2 at this price, so it's a considerable savings. I get the butcher to slice it because it takes them far less time, they have the right tools and I just honestly can't be buggered to do it. They don't charge for it either, so it's a definite plus.

A couple of things to consider. A whole ribeye weighs about 20 pounds - or at least the Kroger cows are that size. LOL So $80-$90. It's a small investment and may not fit everyone's budget. The other is freezer space. Unless you're planning a big party, the meats haz to be frozeded. I have a big upright freezer, so storage isn't an issue for me.

As to thickness, it's a personal preference. I like my steak almost still mooing, so it has to be thick enough to get a nice sear on without cooking all the way through. Anything thicker is pretty much a roast. LOL Seriously, I can do up a perfectly tuned rare-medium rare ribeye in a hot iron skillet or on the grill in 8-10 minutes. If they're thinner, I almost always overcook them. Thicker and the outside gets too done and the middle remains raw. Rare is good. Raw is for sushi. If you're more a medium to medium-well person, than you could probably get by with 1" steaks. More bang for your buck. Oh - 1.5" bonless ribeyes run about a pound each - precooked weight. Bone-in gets you about 1lb at 1 - 1.25" thick. That all depends on the overall size, but is pretty standard for grocery store beef.

As for the cut, ribeye is my fav for steak. There's enough fat/marbling to give it excellent flavor and texture. It's rarely tough unless you get an ancient steer, which is rare. A filet is nice, but there's no fat unless you add it yourself, so nothing to make that nice, crisp edge like the fat on a ribeye. I certainly don't eat the fat, but it does make a damn fine steak.

Hope this is helpful. If I think of other meaty tidbits, I'll start a new thread. EN can certainly add to it. She has huge beef wisdom. LOL Us carnivores gotta stick together. Don't know if you remember, but my husband is a vegetarian. He does eat eggs & dairy, but is otherwise strictly a plant-a-saurus. Makes for interesting mealtimes. heh.

Most Active
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 60 views
Recent Topics
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 60 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 717 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1471 views