My bum hurts, but why? Sorry for TMI.

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 12:19 pm
I don't know whether it's h'roids or the dreaded fissures. I'm new (3 months) and basically living on a diet of hamburger and shakes. I hurt but I don't know what beastie I'm battling. How do I determine? I hurt when I poo, even when watery and then hurt afterwards for some time. Ouch. Bright blood on the paper and panties.
Jade ..
on 8/9/11 12:58 pm - GA
It really could be either.  I strongly suggest you call your PCP or OB/GYN and get a recommendation for a colorectal dr and get in asap.  Trust me, as someone who has been living with a fissure for a long long time, I wish I had gone when I first started having issues.  Now I'm to the point where I need surgery but need to pop this baby out first.  :)  But they can diagnose one or the other and give you meds for either.  
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 11:27 pm - Saint Louis, MO
I second what Jade said.. get in now before it gets worse.  My doctor gave me some h'roid (I like the abbreviation, since I can never spell that word right!) cream that was both an anti-inflammatory and a pain relief cream in one.  MAGIC stuff.  I still use Prep-H wipes most days to avoid a flare up.
CharleeG
on 8/9/11 11:45 pm - Jonesboro, AR
1 - stop using toilet tissue. Use fragrance free wipes.
2 - If you can't get in to the doc today, get the Prep H CREAM with aloe and some Vagisil - both have OTC painkillers. Or go to the sex toy store and get Anal-Ease.
3 - Ask the doc for the cream with Lidocaine and Hydrocortisone
4 - Soak your butt in very warm water either in a sitz bath or the tub

Read this post: www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/3693225/Anal-Fissures-Medical- Non-Surgical-Treatment-Regimen/

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 5:57 am - Omaha, NE
Eloisie,

Are you constipated?  If so you need to make sure your pooh's stay soft and fluffy.  You need to get to a CRS as fast as you can.  I am just getting over a fissure from 3 months ago.  Like others have said - stop using toilet paper and get some wet wipes but make sure they are chemical and perfume free.  Try to take a hot bath immediately after a poo as this should help with the after-pain.  Try not to use a cortisone cream until you find out if it's a H'roid or fissure - the cream will thin your skin down there which does not help with a fissure.   Avoid acidic foods and any sharp food (think nuts, chips etc...)  Most fissure are acute but if you don't get a hold of this it could become chronic.  I was praying to God to take me from this world if I had to go pooh one more time - like pooping out shards of glass - ouchy.  

Keep us informed and let me know if you have any other questions.  I just had my last appointment with my CRS yesterday (not fun at all) and he said he can't see anything.  Good luck.

Kathy 
KeriDane
on 8/10/11 6:03 am - Bowling Green, KY
Mine has done that twice. Both times I started taking Pepcid. Within 1-2 days it was better. I think my problem was related to stomach acid as during this time I had FREQUENT loose BM's that also resolved after taking the Pepcid.