What to eat in an emergency?

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/11 4:53 am
What do you choose in an emergency when all you have is fast food joints around you and you cannot get home? Say, you're stuck without a car somewhere, or on a cross-country trip on a toll highway (where you only get to stop at the sanctioned rest stops).
beemerbeeper
on 8/8/11 4:58 am - AL
Hamburger with cheese and bacon and no bun.  Chicken nuggets with mayo.  You can get peanuts/almonds at most convenience stores/gas stations.  You can also often find bananas there (not low carb but good in a pinch).

Hardees has a low carb burger which is just wrapped in lettuce rather than a bun.  Lots of places will do that if you ask.

I like a KFC double down too.

It is easy to eat out TOO much post DS.

~Becky

AllieInOntario
on 8/8/11 4:59 am, edited 8/8/11 4:59 am
I had to do that yesterday. Arby's cheese sticks. They're fried and do have a coating (batter, not breaded in Canada) so for the amount of it - no ill effects to speak of.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/8/11 5:01 am
chick-fil-a has the best freaking chicken salad I've ever eaten.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Elizabeth N.
on 8/8/11 5:07 am - Burlington County, NJ
Any meaty sandwich without (most of) the bread. Cheeseburgers are now health food :-). I also eat chicken tenders (NOT nuggets *blech* but that's a taste preference) at many fast food places. It's always nice when KFC is an option. Cheese stick things, or fried cheese curds, or Taco Bell tacos with or without the shell.

Basically drop off the fries, desserts and sweetened drinks and you have lots of choices at fast food places.

Anna G.
on 8/8/11 5:07 am
I eat fast food All The Time, not just in emergencies. I order whatever I want, just without the bread. Most places are very good about putting ANY sandwich in a bowl without the bread. You can just eat it with a fork. Sometimes I get it with the bread and just use the bread for convenience, as something to hold the sandwich with, and just tear off bits of bread as I go. Whatever.
Or, if there's no fast food available, I always keep quality beef jerky in my glove compartment for emergencies.

Fade2Pink
on 8/8/11 5:19 am - Salt Lake City, UT
I can eat just about anywhere.  I do remove half the buns from sandwiches and almost always ask for extra cheese. 

I also like to have nuts (peanuts and cashews are my fav) and cheese, string or other, as go-to types of snacks when travelling, etc.

Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

goodkel
on 8/8/11 5:27 am
Have a burger! It's GOOD for you!

Any 7-11 will have individual sizes of Cracker Barrel cheese, nuts, jerky, and sometimes even hard boiled eggs.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

elixir
on 8/8/11 5:29 am - MI
I went to Arby's today and ordered a beef & cheddar max with no bun and no Arby's sauce. They stick it in a plastic container for you, but make sure you ask for a fork. They forgot to give me one this time.

I also ordered a Philly cheese burger from Applebee's with no bun. It came with sauteed onions and peppers and lots of cheese. Delicious.

I tried chicken strips from Checker's but the flour coating made me sick so I won't be revisiting that again for a while. 

I had a naked burrito w/light rice from Qdoba which was delicious. And while not fast food, it was located next to Discount Tire and rather than sit inside there for forty minutes and wait for the tires I walked next door to Mongolian BBQ. Filled my bowl up with shrimp, bean sprouts and mushrooms with garlic chili sauce. Yum.

I'm thinking about trying some Mediterranean later this week. Stuffed grape leaves and tabbouleh, hummus and falafel sound promising. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Twi light
on 8/8/11 5:32 am - NY
I keep jerky in the car. 15grams of protein per oz, 2 carbs.... i just snack on it.  Also you could get a grilled chicken almost anywhere, wendys, mcdonalds etc all have grilled chicken sandwiches.

Recent Topics