Made my appointment with Dr. Stewart!!

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/8/11 6:48 am, edited 8/8/11 6:49 am
Just a note, I live in NYC, so it would have been very difficult to arrange an in-person consultation. If you live close enough where a visit isn't too inconveniencing- either a short flight, or a few hours drive- I'd recommend going there in person.

Here's what I remember :)

For long distance prospective patients, there's a DVDsent to you with a video of Dr. Stewart speaking about the different surgery types, a friendly hello from Sue and patient testimonials.

There is also a quiz enclosed with the packet that you are to mail back to them.

Once they get the quiz from you (this verifies that you watched the DVD are informed about the surgery types) then you can go ahead and schedule a phone consultation with Dr. Stewart. This is where you should have a list of questions ready, also be ready to answer questions from Dr. Stewart. He will want to know a little bit about you and how you decided on the surgery.

After the consultation you have to have some labs done, along with an stomach scope (forgot the name of that test) and send the results over to Dr. Stewart. After he has all these medical records and they tummy scope looks good, you can schedule the surgery date.

I would recommend arriving a day or two before the pre-op to get any errands done (shopping for apple sauce, apple juice, pillows and such for post op eating). But you don't have to be there the day before surgery for your pre-op exam with Dr. Stewart (first thing in the mornint), and be available for some very important nutrition classes. After that you have to go to your hospital to take pre-op xrays and blood tests. This is a very long day, so be prepared to eat a good breakfast, bring a notebook and a bottle of water. 

7 days after surgery you will have a post op exam with Dr. Stewart, if all goes well you will probably be cleared to go home. There are more nutrition classes as well, it will either be with Sue or their nutritionist. I flew home the day after the post op exam.

Please make sure your PCP at home is well educated about the DS, your post op nutrition guidelines, and the meds you will need (pain killers, anti-nausea meds) as Dr. Stewart cannot issue perscriptions across state lines and your PCP must be willing to fill these out for you.

I did not go back for a check up since I live in NYC, but I have my PCP draw labs which I fax over to Sue (Dr. Stewart's NP). She advises over the phone on vites and nutrition.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

LuckyLibrarian
on 8/8/11 7:57 am - Plumerville, AR
Thx so much! I have the DVD packet already. I am going for a sleep anea test tmro and will speak w my PCP soon.
goodkel
on 8/9/11 9:17 am
"Please make sure your PCP at home is well educated about the DS, your post op nutrition guidelines, and the meds you will need (pain killers, anti-nausea meds) as Dr. Stewart cannot issue perscriptions across state lines and your PCP must be willing to fill these out for you. "

This makes no sense to me. Why can't you fill those prescriptions in Texas? Don't you need them for your time in the hotel recovering, anyway?

I had my DS in Mexico, filled the prescriptions there and brought them home with me in my carry on. Including pre-filled Heparin shots and narcotic pain meds.

I agree that your pcp must at least be cooperative about your ongoing DS care---primarily labs. But, I don't see why your DS surgeon can't take care of all your immediate post-op needs.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

calendargirl
on 8/8/11 10:18 am, edited 8/8/11 10:19 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12
LuckyLibrarian,

I see a library in your pix...

Do you happen to work for the State of Arkansas or the school system by chance?  If so have you seen this -- bariatric surgery including DS coverage for these groups begins as soon as 1-1-2012.

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2011/2011R/Acts/Act855.pdf

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

LuckyLibrarian
on 8/8/11 10:54 am - Plumerville, AR
Wow. I am a public school employee. Our insurance has always had a bariatric surgery exclusion. I will look into this. Thank you.

BUT, will I be abler to wait on the surgery? I want it now!
LuckyLibrarian
on 8/9/11 9:00 am - Plumerville, AR
I want to thank you for pointing this out to me. I confirmed this with my insurance today. You were right! Thank you for saving my parents $23k. The only downside, I have to wait till January for the change to become effective.

Hallelujah!
calendargirl
on 8/9/11 11:17 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12
Wow, I am so happy for you!  5 months is no time at all! 

This is fantastic and another up side is that the prework and any complications would be covered too, where in a self-pay it's iffy at best.

You are indeed a LuckyLibrarian!

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/11 6:09 am
I had my DS with Dr. Stewart a year ago, and my mom had her DS with him in March.  We each paid $22,750, not including travel and hotel costs.  Aside from this mystery doctor that Diana Cox has been talking about (I hear he's offering the DS super cheap right now, but that he is indeed a reputable surgeon....I don't know because they're not saying who the surgeon is yet), Dr. Stewart has one of the best (if not THE best) self pay prices in the states.  His prices have not gone up in at least a year.
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/11 3:59 am
Congratulations on your DS decision!  If larra's lead works out, I'd do it in a heartbeat since you're self-pay.  If that does not work out, you can't go wrong with Dr. Stewart.  He's an excellent surgeon.
teachmid
on 8/8/11 4:27 am - OKC, OK
Great decision! I sent you a PM this morning.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Recent Topics