White Carbs

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/8/11 6:07 am
Yeah it's a different experience per individual. I'm not too extreme "carb free" since I don't want to feel like I'm on a diet, from time to time.

Beleive it or not it's some of the low-glycemic carbs that give me problems. Brown rice and barley make me fart like there's no tomorrow. There is also something I keep eating at my mother-in-law's house that gives me wicked gas, I haven't quite figured out what it is.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Elizabeth N.
on 8/8/11 5:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
I don't get sick except from the smell of the gas the offenders cause. Not all of them cause problems, but a good number of them do. You're going to have to make choices about what you eat and not rely on any kind of "aversion therapy" to make it happen for you. One, you are not guaranteed to have an aversive reaction. Two, aversion therapy does not work. You would be AMAZED at the suffering people put themselves through in order to have the substance they desire. See RNYers who eat their problem goodies knowing they will dump and just plan for the time of illness that will result.

mel1964
on 8/8/11 5:04 am
same thread, white carbs dont actually make me sick, i get very uncomfortable gas, bloating and a big bathroom run!(poo), they also slow down weight loss, it also depends on what it is, i can eat potato bread with a lot of butter or with a greasy burger, but any regular, white bread watch out, fresh bread, if is soft with a lot of butter, its good but it just takes up a lot of space, i can eat pasta now but it has to be in small amounts or boom! so i just stay away from them or eat very little of them, even carby veggies give me the same results, they also dont stay in my system for very long and i get really hungry like i didnt eat anything! i even have problems with dreamfields!macroni salad with a lot of mayo, sure, but sooner or latter its coming out!  so to avoid the discomfort and gas i just eat them in very small amount or not at all.

goodkel
on 8/8/11 5:21 am
Even four years out, I still can't do pasta. Makes me feel too full too fast and, though I may not be "sick", it can be downright painful.

Bread is a little easier. I can eat 1/2 a turkey sandwich (regular sandwich, not a sub) an hour. I eat half, set it aside and fini**** off 45 minutes to an hour later. I can't finish a fast food sandwich unless I remove half of the bun.

Since I eat my protein first, as YOU will need to do, I'm usually only good for a bite or two, anyway.

For instance, I always order the kids' meal at fast food burger places. I take off the top bun and can finish the cheeseburger. I rarely can finish even half of that tiny packet of fries. But, I get a TOY!!

Flour tortillas are painful. Open them up and eat the insides with a fork. Corn is a little better, but barely and not worth the room they take. Crunchy tacos I can do in moderation (two at most), maybe because they are corn and fried in oil.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/8/11 5:32 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Thanks to all you lovely ladies who have shared with me.  I appreciate your input.

I can hardly wait to get my DS. 

Best Wishes and Hugs to you All!!!!

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/11 6:09 am - Woodbridge, VA
Are you looking to revise to DS to lose only 40 more pounds, or is your ticker not updated? I am about 30-40 pounds higher than my personal "goal," but I know the majority of patients, regardless of surgery type, never reach their ultimate goal. Average weight loss usually maxes out at about 85% EWL, depending on the study. Another revision will not guarantee you reach goal. I bet if you work on the white carbs with your VSG, you could lose more without another surgery. Actually, I would recommend limiting ALL carbs (not just white or "refined").
Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/9/11 4:19 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
I'm 185 right now and would like to get to 140 or less.  It would be great if I could cut out all the carbs.  Just easier said then done for me.  I'm getting Therapy right now on my issues with food.  I also have heard the more revisions you have the slower the weight comes off.  I'm not sure if I will get the DS. 

Virgie Tschirhart

Elizabeth N.
on 8/9/11 4:38 am - Burlington County, NJ
You will not get insurance coverage at that weight. It might be a lousy idea to get the DS at this point, for that matter.

had_enuf
on 8/8/11 7:22 am, edited 8/8/11 7:24 am - East Bay, CA
 Don't want to rain on your parade but why do you think your insurance may cover your revision? If your BMI is below 35 I doubt they will, since there's not ANY possibility you can claim any kind of mechanical failure of your VSG stomach that you WILL be keeping regardless of revision to DS or not. Also, even self-pay, many respectable surgeons won't touch you for a "cure" for a minimal amount of retained excess weight. I hope the therapy and the reality of your true options together contribute enough to lead to further success, maybe even to goal...

ETA: Just read your profile. Did you get off your hbp and diabetes meds? Is the 35 BMI on your profile accurate. If the answers are NO and Yes, you have a better chance of insurance coverage.
       Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/9/11 4:24 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
I'm not sure if I will get a revision.  My insurance is BCBS Federal.  They covered the LB in 2008.  I had to self pay for the VSG.  No I'm still on hbp meds and I'm taking Metoformin for high blood sugar.

Virgie Tschirhart

Recent Topics