White Carbs

MsBatt
on 8/8/11 12:48 am
White carbs don't make me 'sick', but if I overdo them I have gas problems. Not all 'white' carbs are created equal---for instance, fresh, made-at-home pasta doesn't give the the trouble store-bought pasta does. Potatoes don't give me any trouble at all, and neither does rice (although I tend to eat more wild rice than white.)

It's really a YMMV thing. Sugar alcohols give me FAR more trouble than other 'crap' carbs do.
Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/8/11 12:51 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
MsBatt, Thaks for your input.  I wonder if my age and how many previous surgeries I have had, will slow down my weight loss.  I'm 50.  I had the LB in 2008 and VSG in 2009. 

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

beemerbeeper
on 8/8/11 2:19 am - AL
I don't get "sick" I get GAS from HELL.  It is wheat gluten for me so I get this with lots of other things other than white carbs.

Yesterday I ate TWO Twizzlers.  Two.  Within 2 hours I was farting to peel paint off the house.  Horrible.

Twizzlers have wheat gluten in them.  I ate a whole bag one time and thought I was going to die.

I just don't eat white carbs.  I read labels like crazy for wheat gluten.  I know it has helped me lose and maintain my loss so I take it as a benefit.  I also read labels for carbs and if something has a lot of carbs in it I just don't eat it. 

Coming from someone who lived on white carbs pre-DS this has been a big change. 

~Becky

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/8/11 4:05 am, edited 8/8/11 4:21 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Yesterday I ate TWO Twizzlers.  Two.  Within 2 hours I was farting to peel paint off the house.  Horrible.

You really made me laugh....that is hilarious!!!    

it's just gas then not diarrhea?  I know they make gluten free foods too. 

Thanks for replying.....

Virgie Tschirhart

beemerbeeper
on 8/8/11 4:51 am - AL
I eat gluten free, lactose free, low sugar alcohol and very low carb.  It is working for me.  I still get gas and I take fish zole an antibiotic when I need to be SURE to be fartless. 

I went from 262 size 3x to 145 size 4/6. 

I have not been taking a good probiotic which I am going to go back on.

No problems with diarrhea since early out.  All the calcium and iron I take bind me up and I have to work to not get constipated.  To avoid constipation I add fat to my diet, drink WELL over 64 oz of water a day and take Magnesium Oxide with every Calcium dose.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 11:10 am, edited 8/8/11 11:13 pm

Baby Girl-

Actually, and this is IMHO, white carbs are good for something - constipation.

White bread gives me the runs, and make true the rule "never trust a fart".

If I happen to get "bound up" (constipated), I get myself a slice or two of Wonder Bread. It is my personal intestinal "Drano".

Of course, I do this when I'm at home, and since I'm single, I don't have to worry about any family reaction to the "mustard gas" that goes along with the "Colon Blow". Remember that bit from SNL? It was a send-up of a high-fiber cereal commercial.

As for rice and potatoes, no troubles, but I only eat a brown and wild rice pilaf made by Lundberg's. I don't have the original packaging for information, but there are several different types of rice in it, and you can get it at Walmart and most health food stores. I do eat bread, but made only from brown, minimally processed flour. Not the "wheat bread" that's next to the white bread. It's the same thing. All they do is color that with molasses.

Early out, since I was already lactose intolerant, I became even more so, and actually ended up back in the hospital about 48 hours after surgery, because my whey protein shakes ran all my fluids out. I switched to whey protein isolate (lactose is processed out), and lactose free milk, or I use plain old Vitamin D whole milk with lactose pills, which still work for me.

As it turned out, I became hyper-malabsorptive (75cm cc) so I also take Creon with my meals and snacks.

This is not medical advice, just what works for me. I'm healthy as a horse, but it takes a lot of work. Nevertheless, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/9/11 12:18 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Jazzbabe,

You are so funny!!!  Love the way you describe everything.........    I too am lactose intolerant.  I guess the hyper - malabsorptive (75 cm cc) is better?   What is Creon?  

I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Virgie Tschirhart

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 4:11 pm
Baby Girl-

Creon and Viokase are two medications tht are actually the digestive enzymes that are re-routed to your bilipancreatic limb in the DS.  The medications are actually a pharmaceutical partial DS reversal.  Some people gain weight with it, and it was prescribed for me early out because of my more "efficient" malabsorption.

I went through protein calorie deficiency not because I wasn't eating enough protein, but because my body wasn't absorbing at the typical DS level.  I alsdo take it with mjy lupus and fibromyalgia meds to help absortion.  Creon comes in different strenghts; I take the 24000 IU's.  My weight conetinues to go down, and I am on my last 14 pounds to goal. On 2/25/2012 I will be three years out.  I also went through A and D deficincies early out,  None of these were severe, because my labs caught them before they got to that stage.  I still do 50g protein shakes 3 times daily, (made with milk and decaf hazlenut coffee and two scoops of unflavored Whey protein isolate)  and I take 25000 units of A and 50000 IU's of D weekly.  I give myself B12 shots twice a month, and I take 8 calcium citrates with D daily in addition to my 4 daily multis, 40O IU of B1 (Thiamine) weekly, B Complex 3 times a week, and iron with C once a week.  Vitamin C, aloong with my Creon helps with iron absorption. I also take 200 IU of E weekly and 400 IU of K-1, and 5000mcg of K-2 weekly, since my last labs showed my K-1 slightly low with my last labs. 

You loasbs are key with the DS.   Low normal is not good enough for us.  Your goal should be to have all your levels fall mid-range of the values.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/8/11 4:46 am
I never get sick or gassy on the occasions where I eat white carbs. Mind you, I don't overindulge in white carbs since I'm in the weight loss stage and trying to low carb.

During the first few months of healing I avoided wheat because my stomach couldn't handle it yet. But at 7 months I can eat any wheat product without problems.

However, your milage may vary. There's no guarantee what your outcome will be.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/8/11 5:04 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
I'm beginning to understand that everyone is different.  I will just have to see.

Best wishes to you!

Thanks for replying... 

Virgie Tschirhart

Recent Topics