surgery in a week-few questions

litebrite
on 8/7/11 6:06 am - Telford, PA
I have a variety of questions to ask.  I am having DS next week.  Thank you for any help.

1. If I add unflavored protein powder to items, how much do I add?

2. Does it change the consistency a lot if I added the unflavored powder to items such as pudding, soup, etc.

3. For medications I already take (nothing to do with DS) do I have to worry a lot about them being absorbed differently?

4. The nutritionist recommends baby food-fruits, meat and veggies.  Do you all buy that or make your own?  If you make your own, what kind??

5. What you you all mix with plain yogurt for flavor?  Or is there some good kind without fruit chunks?

Thank you for any help!

DS on 8/15/11

teachmid
on 8/7/11 6:27 am, edited 8/7/11 6:27 am - OKC, OK
Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.

I have never used unflavored protein Powder, but generally 1 scoop is a serving. Personally I use 1 1/2 or 2 scoops depending on what I'm fixing.

I never used any baby food at all. I'm not sure, but your nutritionist may be giving you RNY guidelines. Each surgeon has their own post op eating guidelines, and you should follow those. The most important thing early out is getting your fluids in.

Ask your surgeon about your medications.

I eat plain Fage yogurt, my favorite, either whole fat or 2% depending one what I can find. I add vanilla and Splenda. There are several different brands on the market which you could try. Stay away from "light" yogurt or those with fruit. They're loaded with sugar.

-Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

litebrite
on 8/7/11 6:48 am - Telford, PA
thank you.

I forgot one :)

I am acutally having a cyst removed from my wrist 8/31 too.  They doctor told me it would be VERY painful.  I spoke to the DS surgeon about taking pain medication for that surgery and constipation.  They recommended colace.  Even if I have to puncture and squeeze out liquid.  It has glycerin, glycol, sorbitol, and gelatin.  I thought I read at least the "ol" ones were bad for DS.  Should I use these?  If not what is better?  Would Miralax be better?

thanks again
DS on 8/15/11

Elizabeth N.
on 8/7/11 8:38 am - Burlington County, NJ
You're looking for a laxative effect, and that's what sugar alcohols do.

teachmid
on 8/7/11 6:57 am - OKC, OK
First of all, everyone is different in terms of pain, but I was still on my pain meds post DS 2 weeks out, about the time you'd be having your second surgery. Second, although many folks do have constipation ( I am not one of those****rtainly would't expect that to be a problem 2 weeks after your DS.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

litebrite
on 8/7/11 10:00 am - Telford, PA
I see, thank you. 
DS on 8/15/11

ambermay
on 8/7/11 10:49 am
1.) a serving is one scoop
2.) I added a scoop to yogurt.. Unflavored DOES NOT mean flavorless let me tell ya.. It made it absolutly discusting.  Made it a little more runny.  and completely grouse. 
3.)  I would ask my doctor
4.)  I was told during the pureed portion of recovery to puree meats and eat them so get in the protein that we need.  Just any meat in a grinder then add mayo to make it the consistancy of a spread.  Yogurts, cottage cheese, creamed soups...
5.)  haven't tried it yet but I was thinking maybe a little honey  idk

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming DS  :)

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

litebrite
on 8/8/11 10:07 am - Telford, PA
Amber,

Thanks for the input.  I just saw your date!!!!  Good luck to you!!!
DS on 8/15/11

Recent Topics