Coming to terms with food addiction

fluffy_me
on 8/7/11 8:53 am
i agree - when i feel down (and can't eat 10 packets of salt and vineger crisps and a whole bar of chocolate and 2 cans of diet coke) i turn to God - it's the only thing i can do. i also do like to listen to spritial music - it really calms me down - or go for a loooonngggg drive listening to my spiritual music and then some hip hop stuff:D

i kind of like it better this way:)
Elizabeth N.
on 8/8/11 1:51 pm - Burlington County, NJ
"Addiction" and compulsive overeating are not synonyms.

Laz22girl
on 8/7/11 8:38 am
Elizabeth, I think you are wrong and obviously know nothing about addiction.

This is a quick definition of addiction I found:

Drug addiction is a dependence on a street drug or a medication. When you're addicted, you may not be able to control your drug use and you may continue using the drug despite the harm it causes. Drug addiction can cause an intense craving for the drug. You may want to quit, but most people find they can't do it on their own.

It doesn't have to be a street drug...people get addiction endorphins released from food, prescription drugs, gambling, sex etc.

I am absolutely a food addict...I get very real physical cravings for my drug of choice.

I think you need to read up on addiction before spouting mistruths.

---

OP, I'm very sorry for what you are going through. I agree with the last poster...in order to get over any addiction, you must admit being powerless to it. Replace the food with something productive--exercise, prayer, etc.

I still struggle with binging everyday...I've come a long way, but it's still something I will deal with for the rest of my life.

(((hugs)))
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 9:27 am

While I respect your opinion and I do believe that there is such a thing as a food addiction, Elizabeth is not spouting a mistruth.  She has probably forgotten more than you ever knew about addictions and addictive behavior.

You do not need to be an addict to self-medicate and self-medication does not necessarily mean you are an addict. 

I am sorry that you and others suffer from food addiction as it is the only thing that you cannot completely refrain from, you have to have food to live.

Michele

Elizabeth N.
on 8/8/11 11:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
She has probably forgotten more than you ever knew about addictions and addictive behavior.

Yup, that's probably quite accurate.

IF such a thing as true "food addiction" exists, it is NOT an addiction to "food." It is a physical craving, and NOT a dependence upon (shall we talk about the actual definition of the word "dependence" in addiction science? Hint: It comes after habituation and might or might not come hand in hand with tolerance) "food," but upon some substance found in certain foods.

This COULD apply in some cases.

You can't have an addiction without the physical definition. Addiction is both physical AND psychological.

Now, the psychological definition? That's easier to meet, and that's what lots of people think about when they talk "addiction." But it's NOT true "addiction." It's a BEHAVIOR, and behaviors are not diseases. Addiction is a disease. Go see your DSM folks.

The lovely thing about being psychologically dependent on food is that YOU CAN CHANGE THAT. And you can do it WITHOUT declaring yourself sick and "powerless." If there is anything more ridiculous and disempowering in the world of mental health, it is the misapplication of that Step One to any miscellaneous behavior.

(For that matter, we could start talking about how well AA actually works to HEAL people, but I'll be nice and not go there. Lots of people get sober, at least for a time, but sober ain't healed.)

Elizabeth N.
on 8/8/11 11:22 am - Burlington County, NJ
You believe what you want to believe. I'm not going to waste time providing you with the research material to back up my assertions. Google Scholar is your friend.

The recovery movement is a cult. If you get something out of thinking in the addiction model, more power to you. The OP is ABSOLUTELY NOT DESCRIBING DRUG SEEKING BEHAVIOR. In this you are the one who doesn't have a clue. She does not have a disease. She is not an addict.

I don't listen to cultists. Now go ATTEMPT to show me some viable scholarly work to back up your bull**** It's not allowed to come from any publication even remotely associated with the recovery or 12 step movements. It has to be from real scholarly NEUTRAL sources.

Your sources must also, in keeping with current definitions of an appropriate research source, be no more than seven years old.

Good luck with that.

Recent Topics