In tears and not even on the plane yet...

zuzupetals2u2
on 8/5/11 8:07 am - Sedona, AZ
I always went up when they called first class and anyone with special needs and asked for the seatbelt extender then. What was nice is I got on early too and had more time to find and adjust myself in my seat. I have tho expereienced someone sitting down next to me and finding it being too tight and then getting up and moving (and I am sure explaining it wasn't comfortable sitting next to a fat person.) It's the airlines fault for making the seats so small and being greedy with the space to make more money. If they have us all a litte more room I spose it would me at the expense of  one less airfare

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 8:27 am
Dawn, I fly several times a week for my job and I can tell you it's not as bad as you think. They keep the extender right up at the front of the plane and very discreetly slip it to you. I have been on planes with very MO people, one man had to walk down the aisle sideways because he simply would not fit through, and he didn't have to buy an extra seat - you won't either. And they don't "see if I need the extender" - ever. There is no measuring, no sizing you up, no shouting "well I tried but it won't click, GLORIA CAN YOU GET THE EXTENDER FOR THIS FAT CHICK?". Every time I've seen it done, you whisper to the flight attendant as soon as your foot hits the floor "May I have the extender please?" She smiles, opens the cabinet, gets it and discreetly hands it to you. You head back to your seat - click, click, done. No one is the wiser.

I'm so sorry you feel this way, I know exactly how you feel. I'm sure most of us do! BUT do not let ANYONE make you feel bad for being you. You had a band, you tried, now you are seeking DS. If it wasn't a problem beyond your ability to repair, would you really be trying to have someone re-route your plumbing??? I didn't think so.

Good thing is, when you get your DS, you won't have to worry about that any longer.

ENJOY your trip and don't let this worry you. It's nothing, I promise.

And I flew 121 flights last year - trust me I know.....
Jade ..
on 8/5/11 9:12 am - GA
 My dad is an airline pilot so I had to fly a LOT pre-DS, and I also travel with my job.  When I'd board the plane, I'd ask the person greeting everyone for one discreetly.  They pretty much have it right there and can grab it while you're walking in 90% of the time - otherwise they've said that they'd bring it back to me when they had a moment.  I'm sorry you're having angst and are upset - everyone of us here has had that same feeling one way or another, be it amusement rides, booths, etc.  (hugs)
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 9:20 am - OH
I just noticed the BMI on your profile says 35. Is that right? If your BMI is 35 you won't have any issues. My BMI is around 43 (5'3'' and 245 lbs) and I don't need a seatbelt extender, and I fit ok in the seats. So if that is right, you don't have anything at all to worry about. If it's not, then like others said you will still be ok, and you will have surgery to fix it. Best of luck to you!
kramer5
on 8/5/11 11:44 am - Washington, KS
I need to update my profile (unfortunately).  My BMI is currently 50.  I'm 5'4" 193lbs.

Dawn
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/5/11 11:38 am
I've had good experiences on Delta with the staff being distreet and helpful over the seatbelt issue. What airline are you flying on?
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

kramer5
on 8/5/11 11:47 am - Washington, KS
I'm flying on United/Contintental and I went ahead and bought one inexpensively on Ebay just in case and if I ever know someone who needs it in the future I can pay it forward.

Dawn
Katy S.
on 8/5/11 2:34 pm - WA
I was gonna say how much do you weigh, I was in an 18" inch seat at 330 lbs and 9 mo pregnant with an extender and no extra seat last summer they didn't say a word, I just politely asked for the extender... at under 200 you better be completely fine or they are ridiculous!
"Hi, my name is Katy...and I am a meat eating spin junkie"
HW: 336/DOS: 306/CW: 153/GW: 140?
~ CSz: 5 - S/M

* G1: 199# 09/28/11 * G2: 175# 11/30/11 * G3: 160# 12/09/11(
"People too weak to follow their dreams, will always try to find a way to discourage yours"

Katy S.
on 8/5/11 2:41 pm - WA
I'm guessing you meant 293 lbs, but I was still 330 with a big ol belly and huge hips, and I also barely used any of the extender, maybe 4"-6" max
"Hi, my name is Katy...and I am a meat eating spin junkie"
HW: 336/DOS: 306/CW: 153/GW: 140?
~ CSz: 5 - S/M

* G1: 199# 09/28/11 * G2: 175# 11/30/11 * G3: 160# 12/09/11(
"People too weak to follow their dreams, will always try to find a way to discourage yours"

Mdae
on 8/7/11 5:49 pm
Recent Topics