*^&$%ing Band....

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 8:48 am
I swear my band is possessed by evil.  No friggin restriction for a YEAR after being completely full (4ccs in a 4cc band) so I gain back every ounce I have lost.  EVERY OUNCE.  I go to my first appointment with the DS doctor and I've got good restriction.  Lost 4lbs this week.   I had a barium swallow earlier this week and I could barely get the damn stuff down and I couldn't eat the rest of the day.  I'm lucky if I get in 1200 cals - that's a "big eatin' day". 

Last month, when I made the decision to have it out, it started to "rebel" - pain, heartburn, gas - you name it.  But that's gone now.  All that's left is good restriction.

Band-y can you hear me?  I don't like you.  You kinda suck and I want you gone. 

BUT on the other hand, I have given everything over to God as I was really nervous about how "drastic" the DS seems.  I mean that stomach is GONE baby, it's not coming back.  And re-routing all my pipes too?  :o   Is that Him in that band making it work so I won't take it out and have DS?  That's actually a really funny visual, but you get my point.  I'm so afraid to make the wrong decision.  Ahhhhh!  Freaking out! 
larra
on 8/5/11 10:37 am - bay area, CA
You've had that band for over 4 years...you've had one, count em, one good week...and you think that's a sign??
     Yes, it's scary having the DS, esp for people who liked the supposed reversability of the band. I think that's what you've dealing with now. I look at it differently - MO is a chronic disease that we fight all our lives. What good is a treatment that is temporary or reversable? I wanted something that would help me permanently, and that's what the DS has done for me. It will do the same for you.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 11:03 am
Larra,

Thank you.  That is exactly what I needed to hear.  You're right.  4lbs in 4 years and I think I'm having a devine intervention.  Sheesh.....
Band to DS
on 8/5/11 11:21 pm, edited 2/3/12 10:26 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/6/11 1:43 am
C, I'm sorry your Crap-band is possessed by the devil--or a poltergeist. You need an exorcist ASAP.  Sheesh, those things sound like they should be illegal! 

As far as I'm concerned--when you go to the doc, keep complaining of pain, discomfort, etc.  Even if it's not there--you need to get that evil piece of **** out of your beautiful body. (Oh and eat some yummy fatty foods if you're trying to NOT lose weight)

Love,
S
Sher--the bear mama

pycca
on 8/6/11 5:02 am - Haslet, TX
Yep,, crap band,,, all it does is screw up your body!!  Be glad your body  has not  begun to fight it on your own !!! 
Mine caused a huge mass from too much acid caused by the band,,, I was going to loose part of my stomach ANYWAY!!  

DS is a bit  different , but sooo worth it !! I do loose alittle slower than a virgin DS but as long as it goes I am good!!  Most of Virgin n DS"rs lost their  100 pounds or so   in the first 6 to 9 months,, revisions can take up to 18 months to loose the same,, depends on how long you had your band and how you watch the carbs etc.

But the do it as a stand along surgery and not have to do"fills" all the time,, that alone I am glad I don't have to do anymore, or put up with the swallowing and what to eat yo-yo !!
Poodles
on 8/6/11 10:11 am, edited 8/5/11 10:12 pm - TX
Uh... the band is the devil and the DS is heaven.

It may seem drastic, but it works, and you won't have to revise after that. So win/win baby!

Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 10:25 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Please get that piece of **** out of you. I've had two of them. One slipped and the other slipped and eroded. Both of my daughters bands slipped too.
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 4:09 am
Thanks everyone.  Momentary lack of confidence, but I'm over it now.  You are all 100% right. 

I was so excited to lose 4 lbs (it's been 2 years since I've LOST weight and not gained) that I wondered if I was making the right decision to take it out.  It has caused me NOTHING but grief for 2 years - weight gain, pain, heartburn, puking, flipped port, port pain - you name it.  But I get a few days of relief from that and a little weight loss and I'm like "See?  It's changed!  It's not working against me anymore - I love it!" 

Meanwhile, I sit here waiting for the doctor to call with the final results from my barium swallow where the radiologist said there was "somethng there".  So throw that aside, I lost 4 lbs! 

Ugh, what is wrong with me? 

Thanks for the support.  I don't know what I'd do without this board.....   
honeybadger 11
on 8/7/11 7:23 am - FL

I know you have already decided to stick with the DS but i wanted to chime in and let you know i totally understand where you are at. Ive had my my crapband for 4 1/2 yrs and have struggled the whole time, i have lost 4lbs in the last month by writting down EVERYTHING i eat, now i understand that after i get the DS i will have to do this intially but with the band this would be something i would have to do for LIFE.

The band has caused me a ton of problems and ive never had more than 2cc in a 10cc band so its not that it was overfilled.

The malabsorption of the DS scares the crap out of me but i understand that after 4+ yrs nothing else is going to work so we will just have to take our vits and watch our labs and we will most likely end up more healthy because of it. I know that getting my pre op labs done had really opened my eyes to several vits/minerals that were quite high and my Vit D was terribly low.

I wish you all of the luck and hope to are able to get the DS soon:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Recent Topics