DS and Thyroid

bass_girl
on 8/4/11 10:04 am
I have been doing pretty well for the most part since my DS back in Feb 28.   I have lost 84 lbs as of today.   For the most part, feel pretty well.    I did have an episode with my potassium levels and I am more aware of it and now on potassium.    However, I went to get some labs done the other day and my thyroid is out of control.    I had a thyroidectomy in 06.    Before my DS, I was always able to tell when it was off.   If my TSH levels were over 2, I felt it.   However, I went a few weeks ago and my TSH level was 9.   I thought it was a mistake, so I had it retested.   It came back at 19!!  Then I just had it retested again last week and it's up to 35!!!    My doctor just upped my dose, but I honestly don't feel bad.   But I don't understand why I am getting these high levels.   Anyone else have problems with thyroid after the DS?

Tonya M.
on 8/4/11 1:02 pm, edited 8/4/11 1:12 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Yep I did...It seems we malabsorb the medication, just like everything else. I had to up my dose from 75 to 112 to get my thyroid back in check. I was tired, but didn't have the symptoms of extreme fatigue that I normally get. I did have leg pain (cramping) which is what finally tipped me off (it also stalled my weight loss bigtime) so I called the doc to see what my lab test results were and I found out they forgot to test my TSH. Since increasing my dosage things have been fine and I'm still losing weight at 18 months out.

From what I've read around here this seems to be common among those of us taking thyroid meds.

determineddanni
on 8/4/11 1:29 pm
I have thyroid issues as well but I have not yet had surgery. If you find out anything on this subject let me know. Not a lot of info out there with DS and thyroid.
Tonya M.
on 8/4/11 2:22 pm, edited 8/4/11 2:45 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

The malabsorbtion applies to medication as well...with our shortened intestions the medication does not always stay in there long enough to be fully absorbed.  It should be noted that anyone taking medication (thyroid, depression, anxiety, ect...) needs to be diligent about getting thier labs checked on a regular basis. 

There have been several posts about this in the past, however they are not always easy to locate with the search function (esp since it's not always mentioned in the title of the thread).

yes4Jess
on 8/4/11 3:03 pm, edited 8/4/11 3:04 am - somewhere, MI
Hey Kelly! :) I cannot WAIT to see you again!!!

I have hypothyroidism and I have to have mine checked every 8 weeks....well since my DS I have had to have the dosage upped every single 8 weeks... it's ALWAYS off..... my doctor was freaking out but I told her that its NOT my thyroid getting worse its my body malabsorbing the meds...and I am SURE of that!

You WILL have to keep a good, close eye on it forever now and meds will have to be adjusted accordingly!!
5'5" HW-344 (10/4/09) SW-295 (10/7/10) CW-161 GW-144
Never give up, Never surrender! ~Galaxy Quest

First person to tell me I took the "easy" way out is getting a black eye!

sotto_voce
on 8/5/11 1:28 am - Alpharetta, GA
Yup! Happened to me, too. Get your TSH checked regularly during at least the first 2 years. I didn't get mine checked from about months 18 - 22 post op. After readjusting my Synthroid, I dropped 10 lbs right away. I had been at a stable weight before that!

My DS surgeon is convinced we'll do a better job of absorbing the Synthroid if it is crushed, even if it is a small pill. I just can't bring myself to reliably take crushed pills, so I'd rather taker a higher dose and malabsorb some of it.

Bethany

determineddanni
on 8/5/11 5:24 am
This is great info you guys! I really appriciate the experience of it because I will soon be in this boat and I am glad I know what to expect now. I will have to inform my endocrinologist on what to expect after my suregery and to keep a sharp eye on me:) If anyone else has thyroid issures chime in!
rbb825
on 8/10/11 3:55 pm - Suffern, NY
Wow, those are really high numbers and to change so fast in such a short period of time.  A few things to know  especially since you have no thyroid - you want to do the best to absorb it as best as you can.  There is new research out that says that if you take your synthroid at night, on an empty stomach (instead of in the morning) you actually absorb it better.  You want to make sure you take it atleast 1-2 hours after eating and not within 4hours of your iron, calcium or multi vitamin. 

I do hope they can get your levels straightened out quickly.  Also, are you taking the brand name or the generic?  My Endocrinologist says that Synthroid is the one medication that there is a difference and will only let me take the brand name.  For people that take the generic, the problem is if they switch the brand on you - the strength can actually be off a tiny bit making a big difference.  I do hope you are seeing a good Endocrinologist.

You might also want to make sure they check  your  total and free T3 levels.  When my T3 levels were low, I was put on Cytomel along with my synthroid and this actually helps the synthroid work better.  Cytomel must be taken in the morning

Recent Topics