A Good Post DS Hospitalization

k9ophile
on 8/4/11 6:43 am
Bad news:  A total knee replacement hurts, really hurts.

Good news:  Ortho surgeon and nursing staff were super about my supplements and vitamins.  They encouraged the use of shakes and came around to tell me to take my home vitamins, just like they were a part of their protocol.  Good thing I had the shakes, hospital food left much to be desired.  Now just to recover from this surgery....much harder than the DS.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

MomToTeens
on 8/4/11 7:25 am - OH
Glad to hear it's over and that everyone was so accommodating.  Good luck on the recovery...

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

Imissthe80s
on 8/4/11 7:40 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 Glad you made it through your surgery! I thought that it was soon.  Recover well and get plenty of protein.  Congrats on your new knee.

adkmtngirl
on 8/4/11 8:31 am - Brant Lake, NY
 Lots and lots of protein....I swear by that when I'm recuperating from any surgery (even before my ds). 

Glad your surgery went well, and that your surgeon and nursing staff were so supportive of your nutritional needs. 
Kristina

gak
on 8/4/11 11:13 am
Revision on 06/21/13
You will be so happy with the new knee in time. I know your not now, as dang it HURTS ! BUT I had it last year and now I am doing great ! Keep your protein up etc, it will help with healing. Good the surgeon and nurses have been super about your supplememts ! 

Hang in there, it really is worth all the therapy , even though there are rough days ! It is DEIFNITELY a harder recovery than the DS, but wait until you can walk everywhere without pain ! It will happen ! Just takes time.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

k9ophile
on 8/5/11 2:21 am
Thanks, Ginger.  I visualized you and Dana's pictures as part of my positive thinking approach to this surgery.  I am very grateful to have had your ladies support just by the fact you shared your experience.  Just getting home to my own bed and seeing my dog has been helpful.  The folks here helped me through a very rough DS recovery and I'm positive that it will help with my knee.  Just reading what has been written to me and others is a powerful force.

(Didn't I read that you got to visit with Val at Porky Capones?  We were In OH before my surgery and had the BEST bbq there.  Truly was a pleasure to meet Val as she has always been one of my DS heroines.  And the BBQ?  Leave it to a DSer to do meat right; moist and tender... I'm drooling just thinking about it.)

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

gak
on 8/6/11 1:11 am, edited 8/6/11 1:11 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Yes I got to met Val and her hubby Mark ! Porky's is awesome. There were a bunch of MVAD's there are well. We had a great time. I look forward to my visits to the area when I have to see Dr Maguire as they always make time for a dinner date with whoever is free. The BBQ was awesome.  I wish we could of stayed longer and gone to King's Island, but we had to be on the road.

With your knee, just keep thinking end result ! It is hard, but this summer I about outwalked my DH ! LOL.. He was impressed with all the walking I did on a couple of side excursions on the way home.  I now tell ANYONE having knee problems, just to fix it, as I waited to long to do mine and I think that really hindered my recovery as my leg muscles had already loss stength by the time I did it. I hope you got yours done before that happened ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

April M.
on 8/4/11 11:39 am - MI
Congrats on the new knee. Hope you feel better soon. I can only imagine the pain you must be in, as I'm a total baby about pain and my DS was the worst pain I could even contemplate having (then again, the IV pulled out and my pain meds were going into the tissue in my hand, not my blood stream... hmm, I wonder if that had anything to do with it?) Anyway, I'm sorry for your pain, but hopefully once you've recovered you'll be totally pain free! Gentle hugs being sent your way

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

J G.
on 8/4/11 2:44 pm
Awww, I know it hurts, so sorry.  Did you do any work in advance to get them to accept you taking your vitamins?

feel better fast, Jenny
k9ophile
on 8/5/11 2:11 am, edited 8/5/11 2:22 am
I was, quite frankly, shocked about my home vitamins.  I dutifully typed out a list to take with me.  The hospital pharmacy tried to duplicate, but fell way short. (They sent up a fish oil capsule for my Coromega.) I was expecting a battle royale.  Mind you,  I was ready to fight it, just very relieved that I didn't have to.  Of course no one had heard of the DS, but at least they understood enough about vitamins from other WLS patients that they knew how important they were. 

This is another reason why this forum is so important.  The encouragement we get to be self-advocates really went well for me.  I wasn't rude, just very insistent and knowledgeable.  It will help the next WLS patient who goes there and insists on taking their own "stuff".  The surgeon was impressed with me "upping" my protein.

Recent Topics