Ambien or Lunesta ?

newyorkbitch
on 8/5/11 11:56 pm
Tell him that sleep apnea can kill him.
gak
on 8/6/11 10:58 am
Revision on 06/21/13
That discussion is what has gotten my DH to agree to further evaluation !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

michellemj
on 8/4/11 10:14 pm
I've tried both Ambien and Lunesta and prefer Lunesta. I have severe insomnia and my mind just doesn't shut down at night. I can't fall asleep and I just can't stay asleep. I've also tried a myriad of antidepressants, including trazadone and nothing works as well as Lunesta.

I started on Ambien in 2002 once my life got out of control in graduate school. Over time, it just became less effective and the side effects were icky. While I never had the weird night eating, shopping, wandering or whatever, I had crazy, odd disturbing vivid dreams on it.

I switched to Lunesta as soon as it came out (2005ish?). For me, it's a wonder drug. I fall asleep fast and stay asleep for at least 6 hrs. I am not groggy the next day and have no odd side effects (though some do report a metallic taste in their mouth). I take it daily. and yes, I admit I'm dependent on it after all of these years. Most of my dependence is likely cognitive as there have been times where I thought it took it only to find the next AM that it was sitting on the counter and I managed to sleep fine. So now that I've lost a decent amount of weight, I'm attempting to slowly taper off (I've been on 3mg for 6 years and I'm now taking 2mg). and I'm going to start CBT for my sleep issues.

Sleep problems are awful. I hope for some quick relief for you!

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

gak
on 8/5/11 1:07 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Wanted to thank everyone for their input on this topic ! First night of Lunesta was awesome. Fell asleep about 45 minutes after taking it.  I slept all night until about 5 a.m. when nature called. After taking care of business, I layed back down as I still felt sleep and went right back to sleep until 8:30 this a.m. I hardly ever sleep that late ! I feel rested. Will see what all I can accomplish today ! 

Ginger<><  

cajungirl
on 8/5/11 2:05 am
Ginger, I'll chime in.

Lunesta worked better for me but it did leave a metal taste in my mouth when I took it.  I didn't have problems with tasting it the next morning.  My insurance required me to try a generic so my PCP gave me generic Ambien.  It didn't work well at all.

I'm not taking Temazepam generic for Restoril and it seems to be working.  It takes me a little bit longer to fall asleep but when I do I sleep very well for about 7 hours without waking up.

This might be another option to try.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

gak
on 8/6/11 9:35 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Thanks Dana...

I am taking notes on all responses. Everyone is so helpful ! I was reading about my insurance and it looks like I would have to have special permission for Lunesta, but is has worked better the first 2 nights. I have 7 nights trial certificate. So will try a few more more times before I go back to the doc for that permission

I have slept MUCH better with the Lunesta at least at first.

Ginger<><  

ABath
on 8/5/11 2:25 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13
Ambien takes a long time to work for me and makes me feel druggy in the morning. Lunesta didn't work very well as I was wide awake even after taking it 30 min to an hour before bed. After my sleep study in which they found that I have a low single digit deep sleep, they put me on Clonazepam. That worked but slowly so after talking to my PCP, I take 1/2 of a 5 mg tab along with Melatontin. The Clonazepam helps me to fall asleep and the Melatonin helps me sleep deeper.
Good luck! I know how it feels to lay there at night staring at the ceiling.

Height: 5'1" HW: 229 SW: 203 CW: 147.7

gak
on 8/6/11 9:36 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Thank  you for your input as well. I have tried Melantonin and it does nothing for me. I find it interesting how different ones work for different people.

Ginger<><  

Recent Topics