DS vs. RNY

Paula R.
on 8/4/11 5:25 am - Portland, OR
I wish I knew back in 2000 what I know now here in 2011.  If I did, I would have gone with the DS the first time around instead of going with the RNY.  
My signature is in the witness protection program

Victorious_one
on 8/4/11 6:39 am - South Central, PA

Surgeons only recommend those types of surgeries that they actually perform.  DS surgeons are likely to perform all 4 types of weight loss surgery.  Most weight loss surgeons are more likely to only perform the band & RnY, and therefore will discourage patients from getting the DS or the sleeve.

To find a vetted DS surgeon and to get more information on the DS, please click the links in my signature.

Here's a blog post of mine regarding why I chose the DS over the RnY.  I didn't write it, but I agree with it!  
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/victorious_one/blog/2010/09/29/why-i-chose-the-ds-over-the-rny/

I researched WLS for about 3 years before having it.  I decided early on that the DS was for me, even though I was a lightweight.  I wanted the surgery that was going to help me KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF LONG TERM vs. just getting the weight off initially.  The DS is the surgery that is most likely to do that for me.

Good luck to you!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
smileyjamie72
on 8/4/11 6:55 am, edited 8/4/11 7:05 am - Palmer, AK

Here is Georgina's link to her profile....She was in the weight-loss phase of her surgery when she got pregnant.  She went on to have a healthy baby.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/domesticgoddess/

You should contact her, I am sure she could answer your questions about DS & pregnancy!!!!!

Here is her blog also.
http://whatswiththisbaby.blogspot.com/

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

RainyDayWoman
on 8/4/11 7:18 am - Fridley, MN
Dr. Ikrammuddin is an excellent DS surgeon.  But he is VERY conservative about pregnancy after DS.  I had a great pregnancy after my DS (I responded to your thread in the pg forum) and there's no way I would have had such a healthy pregnancy had I not had WLS.  I think I would have been miserable with RNY. 

Dr. Buchwald, who trained Dr. I, is fine with pregnancy after DS, provided labs are good and a mother gets good care.  He didn't think I needed any particular special treatment in my post-DS pregnancy and was fine with me seeing hospital midwives, not even OBs.  My CC is actually 75, which is shorter than Dr. I's customary 100 cm.

I know one lovely DS mom, Candess, who had a rough pregnancy, unfortunately, with a bowel obstruction and then some growth problems with her baby, who was born small but healthy.  Another DS mom I can think of had some serious deficiency issues in her second post-op pregnancy that may have effected her child.  But pretty much everyone else I can think of who has posted about pregnancy post-DS had healthy pregnancies and healthy babies.  I have also seen some post-RNY moms who had complications.  Unfortunately, some of us will have complications no matter what, surgery or no surgery, RNY or DS.  I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor in what surgery to get, provided you plan on being strict about supplementing and protein.
Ckoch77
on 8/4/11 10:18 am - Mankato, MN
Thank you everyone for your replies! It has definitely helped me see more pros and cons to both procedures. I am definitely looking into both more carefully and will post when Ive made a decision!

Thank you all again!
catdad6
on 8/4/11 11:26 pm
Back in March before my DS I was considering changing to a RNY. I ultimately did not. I considered based on a lot of things I heard about  DS and loose stool. In fact my surgeon even had a talk with me because of my nevousness and because for the 6 months prior to the operation I worked VERY VERY hard and managed to loose 50 pounds instead of 15. I stuck with the DS and I'm glad I did.

The DS will really help with weight re-gain that so many RNY people experience. As for the loose stool issues, I have none of it. I watch what I take in in fat. The only times  I see any oily stuff or "can't trust a fart" is if I indulge in some fairly fatty foods usually by eating out even then it's usually the next day in the morning and I expect it. All my bathroom "habits" are really like they were before (although gas smells a bit more).

I track eveything I eat with mynetdiary which I have on my phone & PC. I weight lift  and walk almost daily for the first time in years.

I had my surgery in April. I weighed about 255 (down from 300). I'm now down to 193 and still dropping nicely.  I'm so glad I went with the DS.

Recent Topics