managing/changing "poo times"?

no_more_rolls
on 8/3/11 9:57 am - Jackson, MI
Okay embarrassing topic and TMI, but as a DS'er I know we all will have a poo issue at some point...so I better get over this now.  At least this is only about the time poo happens and not the lingering paint peeling odor!

I'll be a month post-op on the 8th.  I know I am still healing, but I am beginning to notice a very annoying pattern in my "poo times".  Every night for the past week I wake up at 11:30pm, 2:30am, and 4:30am to do a number 2.  I do not have the "traditional 1st thing in the morning" BM.  I may have 1 BM during the day, and that is usually in the early afternoon.  I notice IF I lay on my right side at any time day or night I will have to poo.  I am getting really annoyed with waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.  Is there any way to change that before it becomes habit?  

I've tried to ignore it, but then my stomach begins to makes the loudest noises and the gurgling sets in.  In a matter of minutes I realize if I do not get up to go, it will come on it's own.  Trust me, it will only take that happening once and I won't do it again.  Advice is greatly appreciated.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 10:09 am - Yorktown, VA
Your system is still regulating itself and adjusting.  This should be a temporary thing, though I can't say when it should start to stop. 

I will occasionally wake up earlier than needed (say 6:30) to poo, but it usually waits until I'm up for the day.

Hang in there!
Renfairewench
on 8/3/11 10:12 am
For a while (many months) my stomach made lots of noises. I referred to it as singing.  It still gurgles now, but not as loudly. Remember, you are only a month post op and it is going to take time for your body to adjust to it's new configuration and that includes your bowel movements.

I used to be a thrice a day pooper, but now I poop 10 times in a 24 hour period and I am 2 years post op.  I usually have to get up around 3:00-4:00 a.m. and again around 6:00 a.m..  Once I am up my day starts.  I found that if I don't eat past 6:00 p.m. that I can go to bed at 10 p.m. and not have to get up to poo until 5 or 6 a.m. 

At this point I'm not sure if there really is anything that you can do. Just give your body a few months to adjust and get used to it's new set up. 

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

NoreenRT
on 8/3/11 10:19 am - Warner Robins, GA
yup, sounds familiar.  my body would wake me up several times during the night to let me know it wanted to poo and it wanted to poo now!  this only lasted a month or two and started to die down with the amount of times.
now i am a 2 - 3 x morning pooer.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

no_more_rolls
on 8/3/11 10:42 am - Jackson, MI
I kind of figured this was some what "normal".  I just hope this doesn't become a permanent occurrence.  I don't mind the gas (even if it is toxic) and I don't mind frequent BM's...I just hate getting up in the middle of the night.  Thanks ladies for giving me some hope that things may change!
KellyJTn
on 8/3/11 1:03 pm - Oak Ridge, TN
My first few months post-op I had the gurgling stomach and waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom a lot too. That calmed down once my body adjusted itself. Now I'm your "morning and evening" poo'er, almost the exact same time :)   It'll get better!

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

zuzupetals2u2
on 8/3/11 1:44 pm - Sedona, AZ
I have never had to get up during the night to poo and for the longest time I would have to stay close to home for acouple hours after getting up as after the first morning poo there was a "not finished" feeling until after about 3 poos. It has been pretty consistent but if I eat simple carbs I can need many additonal visits to the bathroom too

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

TheAlps
on 8/3/11 11:49 pm - Atlanta, GA
Poop is always going to suck I think. I'm a year and 7 months out and I still occasionally have to make a B line for the loo in the middle of the night. Mornings are the worst as I sometimes have to poop 4 or 5 times before I'm ready to leave, so I need a good 3 hours at home in the am. Plus my sphincter is always sore, I guess from pooping so much and always undigested, lots of watery bile. But hey I'm down 300 pounds who am I to complain
Jade ..
on 8/5/11 10:13 am - GA
 I say that I'm a 2x a morning pooper..but those times are typically 3:30ish am and then again around 6 am, and then I get up about 8 and don't usually have to go again then.  So I guess when I tell people that I need to qualify it with what times of the morning.  LOL  I have't figured out a way to regulate it - if you find a way will you PM me?  :)  I will say I much prefer the early am poops to having to poop during the day in public though - with the constipation from cooking this baby, sometimes I've had to go at work and that's a pain in the ass (litterally and figuratively - I have fissure).  
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

Recent Topics