Strictures

lwoznick
on 8/4/11 10:57 am - Green Bay, WI
Now that I have an upcoming revision surgery date to look forward to, I was wondering if anyone else had problems with strictures after their surgery. I'm revising from a lap RNY to a DS with Dr. Buchwald in Sept. After my RNY, I had significant strictures. I had four endoscopies and dilations afterward, but unfortunately all of those dilations stretched out my stoma. Do DS'er frequently have problems with strictures after surgery? And if so, if they have to dilate them to rectify the problem, will it undo the surgery again? Since I seem to have a propensity to develop strictures, I'm hoping I won't have a repeat occurrence after this surgery. I'd appreciate hearing about other peoples' experiences. Thanks!

Warmest wishes,

Lisa
Renfairewench
on 8/4/11 1:31 pm
Lisa, I had a revision from RNY to DS. I had a HOST of post op complications including gastric leak, strictures, fistulas, blood clot, sepsis, infection, and more. It took 18 months to resolve the issues and that required another huge surgery. In the end I had to have 2/3rd of what was left of my stomach removed along with my pylorus due to poor blood flow and strictures that were so tight that they could not be stretched.  I had to have more of my intestine resected due to fistulas. It was a tough recovery and road to get to where I am today.

Here is a link to my RNY to DS revision story. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4321652/If-you-ar e-considering-a-revision-from-RNY-to-DS-you-should/

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

lwoznick
on 8/4/11 10:54 pm - Green Bay, WI
I remember reading your account earlier. I'm so sorry you had to go through so many complications afterward. I'm so glad to hear things are better now for you, but you've certainly had a tough time of it. I'm hoping and praying I won't have complications, or at least nothing really significant after my surgery. Did you have problems with strictures right after your RNY? I'm wondering if it's just the way our bodies heal and if some of us just tend to be more predisposed to developing those types of problems. Thanks again for your feedback and I'm hoping the rest of your recovery continues to go smoothly from here on out.

Warmest wishes,

Lisa
Renfairewench
on 8/4/11 11:09 pm

Nobody expects complications. The only thing to do if one or more arises is to be compliant and to take it one day at a time.

No, I didn't have any strictures after my RNY, only after my revision.

As far as my recovery, I'm doing great, feel great and have good labs so all is well.

Warmest wishes and all good things on your new journey.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

KellyJTn
on 8/5/11 2:02 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I'm not a revision, but I got a stricture at about a month out. I had 1 balloon dilation and it fixed it. I'm at a year out now and have not had any more problems.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

lwoznick
on 8/5/11 3:45 am - Green Bay, WI
Thanks for letting me know, Kelly. I'm hoping I won't have any complications this time around. Glad to hear that you haven't had any problems since!

Warmest wishes,

Lisa
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 7:31 am - Reeseville, WI
I had a stricture that was dilated twice.  That fixed it and I never had to have it done again.
Recent Topics