Has anyone had RNY to DS revision at OHSU?

Paula R.
on 8/4/11 5:19 am - Portland, OR
Ive been exploring the idea of having my RNY revised to a DS.  Ive been to dsfacts.com and have used the seach feature here at OH to see if I could get my question answered before posting.  Ive also done searches on Google and Yahoo to see if I could find what Im looking for there as well. Im looking for feedback from anyone who has had RNY to DS revision with Drs. Deveney, O'Rourke, or Wolfe at OHSU.

As a practice, they stopped doing DS surgery a few years ago.  They will, however, consider doing revision on a case-by-case basis.  They of course are not listed on the dsfacts.com vetted surgeon list now, but I am not sure if they were on there at one time and then were removed when they stopped doing the DS as a practice.

Ive already spoken with Drs. Rabkin, Keshishian, and have paperwork for Dr. Simper out of Salt Lake City, UT.  I have Medicare insurance, so that eliminated Dr. Rabkin.  I would love to have been able to go with Dr. Keshishian, but there is no way I could feasibly come up with the $4,000 fee not covered by insurance.   

Ive heard positive things about Dr. Simper, so its really come down to deciding whether to stay here in Portland (Id have help post-op here immediately) or travel to SLC (Id not have any help post-op until I returned home). 

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My signature is in the witness protection program

nightowl
on 8/4/11 7:39 am - Topeka, KS
I'm not aware of anyone, at any time, getting a RNY-to-DS in Oregon.
It's too bad the money part keeps the really experienced surgeons out of reach, but at least I have heard of Dr. Simper doing the RNY-to-DS.  Simper may be kind of picky, though.  I am thinking of someone on the board he turned down for the revision, due to not wanting to deal with her comorbidities.
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 9:24 am - San Jose, CA
"RNY to DS revision with Drs. Deveney, O'Rourke, or Wolfe at OHSU."

Not if my life depended on it.  No f'ing way would *I* personally use them for ANYTHING DS-related.

Just my opinion of course.
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 10:30 am
I second what Diana said!!  I traveled from Portland to Brazil to stay out of those guys' hands.

RUN don't WALK away!!

Michele
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 12:47 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Stay far, far away from them. 
Paula R.
on 8/4/11 3:36 pm - Portland, OR
Thank you so much for the responses posted both here and in PMs to me.  Im very grateful to all of you for your input.  It seems like everyone is very much unanimous in their advice as well. 
My signature is in the witness protection program

larra
on 8/5/11 12:30 am - bay area, CA
Paula, I doubt the OR guys have ever done a RNY to DS revision. They might patch up an RNY somehow, but not this.
      I understand about the finances. $4K is a lot of money. But if you can somehow scrape it together, or borrow, or whatever, Dr. Keshishian is your best bet.
     Best wishes to you!

Larra
Recent Topics