Dr. Maguire vitamin schedule????

Sheila K.
on 8/3/11 1:09 pm

I have misplaced my paper that has the breakdown of supplements and the daily totals like iu's or milligrams etc.
I have looked at VitaLady's site, I thought she used to have a breakdown of all the vits we are required to take but could not find it anywhere.
I have a appointment in the morning and am supposed to have all of the vitamins with the totals listed.
I might be able to get in touch with Dr. M's office in the morning and have them fax it to me but just in case does anyone have it listed anywhere?
Thanks a bunch,
Sheila

beemerbeeper
on 8/3/11 1:31 pm - AL
www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

This is what most folks recommend DSers start on, and what I take...tweaked per my own labs.  I have no idea what Dr Maguire thinks you should take. 

~Becky

TheAlps
on 8/3/11 11:43 pm - Atlanta, GA
Every persons needs for supplements varies so you should definitely call Kim at dr Maguires office. But my supplements for DS are:
Calcium citrate w/D3: I take citrical petites (MUCH easier to swallow) 3x3, so 3 tabs is 600 mg, 3x a day (don't take with other vits! Only citricals for those 3) total of 1800mg calcium citrate

2 multi-vitamins per day
1 A-25 (25,000IU)
1 D3 (50,000IU)
1 B complex (ot sure the IU)

So my awesome fiancee makes me a little pill ziplock with them and my other meds and I have timers set on my iPhone to go off 5x a day: 1st I take multi, a, d, and my other meds; 2nd calcium x3; 3rd calcium x3; 4th multi and B complex and other meds; 5th calcium x3

I miss some calcium most days but I try to really get the rest in and as much calcium as possible

Btw ive lost nearly 300 pounds and am driving a MINI Cooper! Lol who'd ever thought that possible!
beemerbeeper
on 8/4/11 1:36 am - AL
I hope you are letting some very experienced folks look at your labs.  Your vitamin regimine is a bit lacking.

As in the other fat soluble vitamins that we malabsorb  (E and K)???
The other minerals we need for our bones (such as copper, zinc and magnesium)??
And iron????  Most of us need iron supplementation.

Here's the basic plan that we recommend people start out on:  www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

And since you are taking the BARE MINIMUM of calcium you need you really should try harder not to miss doses.

Please make sure your labs are reviewed by someone *****ally knows what they are looking for for a person who has had the DS.  And you should get a dexa scan as a baseline and then have one every 2 years or as indicated.

~Becky

TheAlps
on 8/4/11 1:49 am - Atlanta, GA
Well I'm sure I need to check in on it. As it turns out I went to see Dr Dennis Smith and his reaction to me was so amazingly awful that I prefer to see nobody then go see him. He was extremely rude, abrasive, acting like it was my fault that I akread had my DS done out of town and then had to relocate to ATL. He mig be a skilled surgeon, but his bedside manner was so unbelievable I'll just drive to Dayton very two years and hoope my supplements are doing well
beemerbeeper
on 8/4/11 4:54 am - AL
You don't have to rely on a surgeon to take care of your health post DS.  Most of us here are here on OH because we've found that our surgeons, while great at cutting, are not the best at knowing what we need to do to stay healthy with our significant malabsorption. 

Or our surgeons are miles or countries away and we can't see them for follow-up due to distance.

Some of us have found great pcp docs who have learned about the DS.  Others of us are training our pcp docs as we go. 

VitaLady helps many of us and there are plenty of other vets here who have become experts at labs and vites who help others on a daily basis.

I hope you won't wait two years and "hope" you are doing well.   You can be proactive and take care of yourself with the help of the people here who will gladly help you.  All you have to do is ask.

VitaLady's jumping off point:  www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf   You tweak this program based on your own personal lab results.

The list of labs you should have run:  docs.google.com/Doc

~Becky

Sheila K.
on 8/5/11 7:35 am
Thank you for your responses!!!

Recent Topics