Iron infusion

Jen B.
on 8/2/11 7:24 am, edited 8/2/11 7:36 am - Olathe, KS
Jen B.
on 8/2/11 2:23 pm - Olathe, KS
I didn't realize when I deleted my post it would not disappear,

My post was

On August 2, 2011 at 2:24 PM Pacific Time, Jen B. wrote:  If you need an iron infusion and your PCP doesn't do them, do you just call a hematologist? I have a call into my PCP's office saying that I want one. I looked at my insurance and almost all of the hematologists are also oncologists, I don't want to take time away from cancer patients. I need to get this taken care of now though. My iron is 25, Ferritin is 4 hemoglobin is 10.3 hemocrit is 32

B12 and Folate are both high

Edited to add, just heard from my PCP they are not super concerned. I feel like crap, have a phone call into a hematologist.

J G.
on 8/2/11 2:59 pm
You are not taking time away from cancer patients.  Your hemo will regard your malabsorption and anemia as a real concern.  Mine does.
Janet P.
on 8/3/11 3:26 am
My hematologist is also an oncologist -- just the nature of what they do. Do not feel you are taking their time away from cancer patients. I always went through my hematologist for infusions - never my PCP. The hematologist ordered the infusion, and I went to the local hospital's infusion clinic. The patient mix was probably 50/50 chemo patients and anemia patients.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 12:27 am - Lancaster, OH
You might want to start shopping for a new PCP too.

My experience with infusions is that my PCP prescribes them, I take the prescription to an infusion clinic.

I'm glad you're pursuing this matter, though.
Jen B.
on 8/3/11 4:40 am - Olathe, KS
Jen B.
on 8/3/11 4:42 am - Olathe, KS
CRAP, I hit delete by mistake! I am a mess! haha

I really love my PCP but he isn't concerned enough about this. He just keeps telling em to see my surgeon. I am going to call my surgeon but I honestly cannot make the drive to see him with how bad I am feeling. I am also supposed to have uterine ablation in 2 weeks but I think I will have to get my numbers up before they will do it. The hematologist's office is trying to get me in ASAP so I can have my ablation on schedule.