protein powder and horrid horrid gas!!!

scoob
on 8/1/11 12:39 pm - Somerset, KY
The main protein I've tried is Walmarts Whey Protein. I have noticed that it is Concentrate and Isolate. I know it's not the lactose from the milk. I really want to try the Champion Chocolate from Vitalady but I'm afraid it will cause gas. I know I could order some sample packets and see what happens and that will probably be what I do. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the Whey?

This gas is so bad that my DH can't sleep in the same room and my house has the stench even after your out for a while. And it's bloating, painful gas. I haven't been drinking my protein, and have done very well with eating it. I just would LOVE to have Lori's protein coffee. I have found a WONDERUL Sugar Free syrup, Baxters. I think if I could find a protein that doesn't give me putrid gas It would make a big difference in my weight loss.

BTW, when I was drinking these protein shakes I GAINED weight which dropped off almost immediately with stopping the shakes. My 1 year labs will be in September. 6 months labs were great. A friend said she'd kill for my levels. I'm feeling great and ALWAYS get in at the least 100 grams of protein and ALL my vites! Just actually WANT to add a protein coffee or two and have heard everyone RAVE over the Champion Chocolate. Do you think I'd probably have the same issues with a better brand then the Walmart, cheapie stuff??

Thanks for ANY and ALL input!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Elizabeth N.
on 8/1/11 12:45 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Uh, well.....I didn't get gas from Champion when I had it. Never tried the Walmart stuff. Have gotten gas from a LOT of protein supplements. If I didn't need the stuff, I'd never use it again. But my protein related markers are in the low end of normal and I've added more activity to my life, so it's time to use the damned stuff.

I'm liking XAPP rtd beverages by Designer Whey. It's a lightly carbonated beverage in a can the size of Arizona Iced Tea with 40 or so grams of whey isolate per can (no can handy to check the exact amount).

scoob
on 8/1/11 12:48 pm - Somerset, KY
Thanks EN! I will have to check those out. I do like carbonated beverages. Don't know why but  I do! That and Coffee, YUM!

Ruby

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 1:28 pm - Yorktown, VA
I've read that some people who have lactose issues cannot tolerate whey protein either.  You might want to try another form, like the egg based stuff.  I think there's a brand called Jay Robb or something like that.
Kathleen F.
on 8/1/11 4:45 pm
scoob
on 8/2/11 12:27 am - Somerset, KY
Does the Jay Robb taste ok??

Ruby

Elizabeth N.
on 8/2/11 12:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
I took a couple individual packets along for travel portions once and they did well. They dissolved fast just in a bottle of water and didn't have strong flavor or protein aftertaste. (And I'm ultra picky.) 

scoob
on 8/2/11 1:31 am - Somerset, KY
Sounds like I found a winner, I hope!! This will be the one I try! Thanks everyone!

Ruby

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 11:11 pm
I find that when I drink the cheep-o protein shakes, I get bad gas, too.  I am now drinking the cinnamon vanilla and the champion chocolate, and have no problems with any gas.  I'm lactose intolerant since surgery, so I make my hot protein coffees in the morning and have no problems all day. :)
Christine X.
on 8/2/11 6:07 am - TX
Is the shake sweetened with sugar alcohols? I can't do artificial sweeteners like the ones in sugar free candies. They give me colon blowing gas. Regular sugar I can do. Whole milk I can do. Protein shakes that have certain artificial sweeteners blow me up like a balloon.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch

Recent Topics