Anyone military? ... EFMP question!

carriemeaway
on 7/31/11 11:34 am - Spanaway, WA
I am curious if anyone had their DS through the military or is in the military health care system with the DS and whether you are enrolled in EFMP and whether it's something I should be doing? I know overseas assignments are always a possibility and some may not always have access to care for someone with DS. But I know an EFMP assesment is done prior to those, however, is it worth it to do EFMP while stateside?

Thanks!
HW     -   SW    -    CW     -  GW
361  357  237 

MajorMom
on 7/31/11 11:42 am - VA
One DSr is in EFMP because she had some complications after DS at Madigan. She and her hubby are on his last assignment and she was having a bit of trouble with branch trying to get assigned near a DS surgeon. They either stayed put or went back to WA. Her other option was here in DC at Belvoir and Myer. I don't know that it's a requirement to be on EFMP but if you have trouble or complications it might not be a bad idea.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

carriemeaway
on 7/31/11 11:45 am - Spanaway, WA
Yeah that's what I'm worried about and if that's the case, from what I've been told there's only one DS surgeon in the Army and he's here in WA. On one had it would leave us here longer to pay down more on our mortgage, on the other hand, we'd be stuck in WA much much longer lol. :)
361  357  237 

MajorMom
on 7/31/11 11:51 am - VA
Lots to think about but maybe you can just wait and see how your surgery turns out. Not that many of us have complications, it may seem that way sometimes, but we really don't.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

carriemeaway
on 7/31/11 11:55 am - Spanaway, WA
So far I haven't had any complications *knock on wood* but I do know it's always best to be near help if you need it. :) Thanks for the info though.
361  357  237 

walter A.
on 7/31/11 8:17 pm - lafayette, NJ
POST 90 DAYS, DR A felt that post op complications were most unlikely to arise , you should be well able to get on with life.
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 8:16 am - TX
Okay don't freak me out about not being near a DS surgeon, cuz after my 2 week stay in WA.....if I have problems it will mean flying back to WA?!  YIKES!
Recent Topics