What kept you going in the months before your surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 1:04 pm - OH
I have that same mentality. I've actually been craving the most carb-loaded stuff imaginable and I know it's my head telling me "enjoy it now because it will be gone soon".  I try to be good, but then by the end of the day I'm hungry and go right back to my old ways.  I'm also in the process of quitting smoking.  Ughhh...quiting smoking + dieting is NOT fun!

Good luck :)
lisarn
on 8/1/11 2:35 pm - Omaha, NE
One year ago this month, I started "relooking" at wls, the DS in particular. A few years ago, I did LOTS of research on the DS, but chickened out. A year ago, I had it, so I started researching again. As part of my research, however, I went to the seminar of another Dr. in my town that does wls, but not the DS. Then I went to the seminar in Sept. that the DS surgeon in town does. 

So then I found out about the 6 month diet...Started that in Oct. Finished in March. You can search on here, I was frustrated, hated waiting and hated the diet thing. My insurance didn't require me to lose ANY weight. I just had an appt with my PCP, he wrote a note that we talked about diet, calorie intake, exercise, and he noted my weight.

You could search for posts back then, I was frustrated, tired of waiting and tired of seeing my weight go up up up. 

March came, saw the surgeon, started my pre-op tests in April, and had surgery on May 31. I tell you April and May FLEW by! Now I am 2 months post op, down 48 or so lbs (25% or more of EBW gone). It's hard for me to believe where this year has gone! 

It'll be here before you know it!
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

Chad M.
on 8/2/11 2:44 am - Indianapolis, IN
I'm just going to comment on the diet portion. Now, I did not really lose anything on my 6 month diet. However, if you cannot change your eating habits at all, not even for one month, then you might need to reassess things and possibly get some therapy. The DS gives you a pretty free diet, but if you cannot control anything about your eating, then you are going to be plagued with problems from gas to regain.

Please try to get some kind of a handle on this!
Imissthe80s
on 8/2/11 3:09 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Chad- I agree with you about getting control.  This therapy business, however, I have had no luck with, basically because I haven't really taken their suggestions and applied them.  I guess I've been lazy, too lazy to put up a fight against my habits.  And  there's no way I would go into surgery with this carb monkey on my back, no way.  Are you kidding me?  I'm thinking group therapy, like OA, might be helpful though.

Chad M.
on 8/2/11 3:19 am - Indianapolis, IN
Therapy is one way. Works for some, not for others. Just find a way!
Imissthe80s
on 8/2/11 3:27 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
I will find The Way, The Way to Enlightenment, my friend.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/2/11 2:48 am - Tuvalu

So..appeal the six month thing with your insurance company.  It COULD work and would give you something to do in the meantime.

There are plenty of grounds...both the ASMBS statements and your own "currently implanted medical device which interferes with the prescribed diets."  I'd go for it.  (I do that and win a lot...you NEVER win if you don't try.  In fact, I'm in the middle of a battle with UHC and the six month thing right now...but on different grounds.)
Imissthe80s
on 8/2/11 3:04 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Ms Cal Culator- I'm curious, are you appealing the 6-month diet for medical reasons or because you think it's inappropriate for the insurance company to ask this of someone?

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/2/11 4:06 am - Tuvalu
Most of this doesn't apply to your situation, because my sister has already been given the runaround.  Does not your state review insurance companies?  We are doing a California thing.  It's for my sister...and in HER case, she did the six month two years ago, after which they (it was Pacificare) decided that the sleeve, which was what she is getting, was experimental.  Then Pacificare was purchased by UHC which does not consider the sleeve experimental.

Our position right now is twofold...the first part is that she's already done the six months and whatever they needed to learn or needed her to learn is already in the records.  The second part is that the ASMBS issued a statement which, in part, says:

It is the position of the ASMBS that the requirement for documentation of prolonged
preoperative diet efforts before health insurance carrier approval of bariatric surgery
services is inappropriate, capricious, and counter-productive given the complete absence
of a reasonable level of medical evidence to support this practice. Policies such as these
that delay, impede or otherwise interfere with life-saving and cost-effective treatment, as
have been proven to be true for bariatric surgery to treat morbid obesity, are unacceptable
without supporting evidence.   Individual surgeons and programs should be free to
recommend preoperative weight loss based on the specific needs and cir****tances of
the patient.

Imissthe80s
on 8/2/11 5:20 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Yes, I've seen that statement from ASMBS. I'm admitting my ignorance here, but I don't know whether or not my state reviews insurance companies.

Recent Topics