J-tube questions

LuckyLibrarian
on 7/31/11 4:51 am - Plumerville, AR
Is it common for DSers to need a J-tube after surgery? If so, how long does it have to be in place? 

Thanks in advance,

Kristen
Ann M.
on 7/31/11 5:00 am - GA
Hi Kristen,

I *chose* to have a J tube put in. I am 4.5 hours away from my doctor and in case you get dehydrated you can use the J-tube to avoid (prevent) a trip to the ER. You can also use it to get your protein shakes in and get a jump on your protein consumption. 

Unfortunately for me, my J-Tube was crimped somewhere inside and I could not use it. Fortunately I was able to get all my fluids in from day 1 but I think this had something to do with me being a revision from a band.

The tube needs to be in at least 3 weeks before removal in order for a tract to form. I had mine out at 4 weeks. It was a minor annoyance at best and is easily concealed underneath your clothes. I am a side sleeper so it did bother me at night on that side.

The only other thing I can add is that I developed a latex allergy post op from the tape that made my skin blister. I don't know if the J-Tube was made out of latex but I sure felt better after it was removed. But the 'feeling better' could also be related to the tincture of time and me just progressing as a post-op.

HTH

Ann

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Emily F.
on 7/31/11 8:19 am
No it is not common.
leslieanne729
on 7/31/11 11:33 am

Kristen,

Its much more common in revisions.
RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
LuckyLibrarian
on 7/31/11 11:39 am - Plumerville, AR
Thank you!
Recent Topics