So who wouldn't be ideal candidates for the DS?

BBoop
on 8/1/11 2:38 am
No, I had no problems with my first surgery except the doctor's chief resident didn't make my stomach small enough.  I only lost 125 lbs and I had to work like hell to lose that much.  Many of the patients that used Buchwald had similar experiences...but again I had zero problems.

So far I'm losing abeit slowly this time...I imagine it has to do with my age, it's too hot to walk outside (I don't walk in 107degree weather) and I'm a revision.  My resleeve was done in Houston and I went home after three days and I've had zero problems.

There are a few of us around, but not many.  I still love my DS.

B

walter A.
on 7/31/11 8:25 pm - lafayette, NJ
you whipper snappers want to denie up old farts everything just because we are 65,  well im going to live another 35 years like both of my parents,  and have social security too inspite of the dam tea party,  and my DS is working just fine.
orangecrushed
on 7/31/11 9:55 pm - Triad, NC
LOL, You and my dad would get along well! :p  I am going to bring it up to him again.  I'd seen on my surgeon's site that 65+ was a further complication.  I'm glad to see so many on the board with positive experiences.  I want him to live another 35 years, too!  He isn't retired, and certainly isn't someone just laying around waiting to pass on.  I appreciate the input!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

butercup
on 7/31/11 1:32 pm - Kennewick, WA
My mother in law got the RNY because #1 she didn't want the crap band. #2 She didn't know there was another option. #3 Now that she knows there's another option, she said that she wouldn't want to loose vitamins from food.

She is 3 years out if I recall and every time I see her she's putting a bit more weight on. It's sad.
PattyL
on 7/31/11 2:00 pm
 Some with IBS, GERD, and Crohn's improve.  You can't say for sure.

Many people back out because of the 'horror stories' told to them by medical people who have never even seen a DSer.  Of course it never occurs to them to question this medical person or look for more information.  So I guess in the long run it's a good thing.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 7/31/11 2:20 pm, edited 7/31/11 2:20 pm
Hi everyone, thanks for all the responses so far. I look forward to reading many more! You all have so much information. 

Part of my motivaton is curiosity, but I do have another reason for wanting to be informed: I'm starting to get a LOT of questions about the DS from my in-laws' relatives who are also morbidly obese. While I'm still 40+ pounds from goal, it is painfully obvious that I've dropped a lot of weight (I'm 5 pounds from onederland). I suspect they are trying to guage whether or not WLS may be an option for them.

I'm far from a vet, I don't have all the info, and I can only speak about it from my experience my medical needs. Some of my in-laws' relatives have a multiude of health problems, and this is where I'm hesitant to recommend the DS. I don't have enough info which health complications make the DS a bad recommendation. At best, all I can suggest is for them to reasearch it on their own, but I'd like to be more helpful then that since these are my family members.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

pktwatch
on 7/31/11 2:23 pm, edited 7/31/11 2:26 pm
As for age, I will be 64 years young 3 days before my DS surgery (coming up on Sep. 21st). I have been overweight all of my life.and am now morbidly obese. What rang my bell was my PCP had always told me that I was in good shape for the shape that I am in. He talked to me about losing weight (one of many times) and said that when you look at people in their 80's they are not built like me............well now 80 is not that far away!

I also have friends that are taking some of the same meds that I am taking and they are starting to develop problems from being on those meds for so long, some of them are very hard on your body long term.

I started researching the different WLS and have a friend that had the DS so I called and talked to her and that was all it took. Now I am less that 2 months from my surgery and still going to support groups, reading all the time here and really looking forward to getting this weight off and getting off of most if not all of my meds! My surgeon normally does not do DS surgery on people over 62, I plead my case and the fact that I have never had any other surgeries, am mobile and relatively healthy led her to agree to do it! I say if it is the surgery that you want find a GOOD SURGEON that will do it!
orangecrushed
on 7/31/11 9:58 pm - Triad, NC
Thank you for your advice!  I hope and pray everything goes smoothly for you!!  My dad turns 66 on Sept. 27, so not too long after your surgery.  :)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 3:57 pm - San Jose, CA
From my Pre-Op post:

However, you should NOT consider the DS if you

1. Are too stupid to follow the simple rules of the DS: eat high protein, take your supplements, get your labs done diligently and adjust your supplements as necessary
  2. Are too lacking in self-control to manage/time your overall intake of refined carbs to avoid weight gain and gas
  3. Are too sheep-like to argue with your PCP or surgeon for the right to have the most effective WLS
  4. Are too passive to fight your insurance company to get the DS, when most of them will LOSE on appeal
  5. Are too cowed by doctors to stand up to them in the future, to explain what surgery you had and how your treatments need to be tailored
  6. Are too submissive to advocate for yourself
  7. Are too weak to be certain that you will ALWAYS ensure your access to necessary protein, supplements, lab tests and other medical care
  8. Are too dim-witted or so brainwashed by Judeo-Christian “morality" to understand that eating delicious flavorful food that you enjoy and which is right for your anatomy is not sinful or gluttonous – it is wonderful!
  9. Are so self-loathing that you feel you need to suffer to atone for your sins in order to enjoy life with weight loss surgery
(Again, for the reading comprehension impaired, I didn't say if you didn't get the DS, you must have these attributes - I said if you have these attributes, you shouldn't have the DS - BIG DIFFERENCE!!  But one that zooms over certain people's heads, apparently.)

Vegans - NO.
Crohn's - I have not heard this is a deal-breaker.  But it may depend on the degree of disease.
IBS - if I had known how much better my IBS would get after my DS, I would have had it for that reason alone.  And I say this while I am in the middle of a flare.
Reflux - I never considered it as an issue before my DS, and it did not get better - I'm taking Protonix twice a day and even with insurance it is not inexpensive.  But my parents both have it and I had it for years before my surgery - and it isn't terrible, and with meds, it is a non-issue to me.  I don't have a tight sleeve (3-4 oz, according to Rabkin, 8 years ago), and I can eat a reasonable amount of food now.
Eating disorders - probably much easier to treat after the DS, when there is SATIETY.
Stupidity - even mildly retarded Prader-Willi kids do better after the DS, so long as someone is helping them with their diets, but "normal" stupid adults should not be allowed to have a surgery that could hurt them.

goodkel
on 7/31/11 4:51 pm
Absolutely, the only category I would totally refuse would be people who are too timid to stand up to and contradict doctors. People who don't have the cojones to TELL their pcp what services they require and fire them if they don't cooperate.

People who don't have it in themselves to DEMAND a CT scan with contrast in the ER.

I think most people can overcome other obstacles, but they're doomed if they don't have a backbone.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Recent Topics