So who wouldn't be ideal candidates for the DS?

orangecrushed
on 7/31/11 12:10 pm - Triad, NC
How about age?  Since it's a more complicated surgery, is it harder on "older" folks?  My dad was asking me if the DS is something he could get.  He's 65, and I know the risk goes up quite a bit at that age... just curious.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 12:24 pm
I was 52 but I know of some that were in their 60's.  I would have your dad talk to a DS surgeon.  There are a lot of variables, like what condition your dad is in now and what and how long he has had his comorbidities.  Dr. Rabkin in SF is an excellent surgeon that does high risk patients with good outcomes.  I would also recommend that should your dad decide to go with a DS, that he research his choice of surgeon and how many high risk cases and the outcomes he has done.

I remember one lady that was 64 or 65 and was a revision from an RNY, my surgeon did her DS in 2003.  She did pass away last year but it had nothing to do with her DS and always said that her surgery bought her many years that she otherwise would not have had.

Good luck,
Michele
nightowl
on 7/31/11 12:51 pm - Topeka, KS

It is still a possibility for someone 65 (like Michele said).  And Medicare covers it, woot!  I know Dr. Anthone in Omaha, NE has experience with DS patients aged 65+.  (Although, he makes the common channel longer than I would want, and he makes the sleeve tighter than I want.)

orangecrushed
on 7/31/11 1:31 pm - Triad, NC
Thanks for the info, ladies!  I'll let him know.  I am a bit hypocritical, I guess... telling him it's too dangerous for him.  But, he's not really in bad health (just has hypertension).  I will tell him that if he's really interested, we could look into it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 3:44 pm - San Jose, CA
1) Medicare covers it
2) Rabkin did a 72 year old man
Chad M.
on 8/1/11 2:41 am - Indianapolis, IN
Rabkin did a 72 year old man

Heh.
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 2:51 am - San Jose, CA
Your new avatar appears to be laughing at me.  :-P

You have a nasty, dirty mind.  I like that about you.
PattyL
on 7/31/11 1:56 pm
 The rest of your life is the rest of your life.  If your dad says it's worth the risk, then it is for him.  The oldest person I can remember having the DS was 70.  If I was MO and 65, I would do it.
BBoop
on 7/31/11 2:30 pm
I was 63 when I had my complete DS and I had a resleeve at 65....age isn't a factor unless the person is reallllly old.   I wouldn't discourage your dad...he might just benefit from it.

Betty
ZenSharon
on 8/1/11 1:41 am - SW Ohio
BBoop,

I have never heard of a resleeve... Did you have issues?  Has it helped?  Thanks for the info.
Recent Topics