Shake Cake Experts, What Did I Do Wrong?

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 7:22 am
I followed the directions but the cake came out really gritty. Then I mixed in some heavy cream to see if that would help and it looked like dog food/ground beef and was still inedible.

The flavour was good, but the texture ... I couldn't get past it!

I used Champion Whey Stacked chocolate protein powder and used oil instead of butter.

Microwaved (yes, we finally got one! Woohoo!) at 1200 watts for 1 minute 5 seconds.

Any ideas of what went wrong? Is it my expectation?

Thank you (:
had_enuf
on 7/31/11 7:34 am - East Bay, CA
 I think you overcooked it. The instructions say 30 seconds. Should be a little melty like a lava cake.
       Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/31/11 7:42 am
 The texture is different than real cake, not QUITE gritty, but different.

They are supposed to be sort of under cooked, so the middle is "molten". Mine are too dry, so I pour half/half over it. Cook it for about half that long.
teachmid
on 7/31/11 7:42 am - OKC, OK
I cook mine for 35 seconds and I prefer the oil rather than the butter. How much water did you use?
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 9:26 am
I'm not sure how much water, but I added it until it was a thin batter.
teachmid
on 7/31/11 9:27 am - OKC, OK
I use about 1/8 cup....consistency of brownie batter.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Twi light
on 7/31/11 8:55 am - NY
mine was like super duper chewy and then stiffened up a lot and i was thinking it was yucko but i think i overcooked mine too . Ill try again. I sort of prefer mock danish with a bit of protein powder mixed in though.

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 9:27 am
Thanks guys! I had wondered if I over cooked it but it didn't look cooked at 35 seconds. I'll try it again and see what happens.
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 9:40 am
For those of us who missed it, would you mind reposting the recipe?
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 9:47 am
Recent Topics