post op 1 week and no weight loss

roxi's mom
on 7/30/11 5:10 am - TN

hi i had ds surgery a week ago today and i have not lost a pound  i have done exactly as directed by the dr but am really confused at this point.  any thoughts?  everyone else i have seen lose 10 or more pounds immediately.  please help with any thoughts.  thanks

Elizabeth N.
on 7/30/11 5:16 am - Burlington County, NJ
What are you doing on the scale? You are HEALING FROM SURGERY, not losing weight. You are swollen.

STAY OFF THE SCALE. Your expectations are skewed here. You need to be doing what you need to do to heal from a HUGE surgery, not worrying about scale numbers. Go sip, walk and rest and quit being silly about the scale.

When people crow about losing umpteen pounds in the first week or two, it is nothing bu****er. It is a chimera. It takes TIME to lose fat. Relax and stay. off. the. scale.

MajorMom
on 7/30/11 5:24 am - VA
Back slowly away from the scale and nobody gets hurt.  Hang tough, get your fluids and walks down to a routine and don't worry about the scale for another couple of weeks. It will all come together but it takes some time.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

roxi's mom
on 7/30/11 5:44 am - TN
lol  thanks sweetie   im just anxious because everyone gets on here with all these immediate results and im blown up like a whale still and was worried there was something wrong.
Twi light
on 7/30/11 5:34 am - NY
well in the hospital they pump you full of fluids so you probably actually gained weight in the hospital and left the hospital with a higher weight...not gained fat but just because of the fluids they pump into you.

You are also swollen so holding on to fluids.

You have to wait for the swelling to go down and then the initial "10 pounds" is really just the water that was gained from being the hospital.

I lost those 10 pounds, but nothing else for like 5 days already...........just wait it out, dont weight yourself, i cant commit to not weighing myself so i just do it once a day to make sure i am not gaining .

roxi's mom
on 7/30/11 5:46 am - TN
i know they gave me a lot of iv fluids and i am swollen like crazy for sure  i just was worried something was wrong  thanku  and i will expect nothing for a couple of weeks at least  have a good day.                                                          melissa
kathie09
on 7/30/11 5:44 am - not available
Hello friend

My DS is scheduled for this Friday, and so I really can't speak for your rate of loss from a personal perspective. I do know this: I have had 9 surgeries to date, and with each one I have a hard time eating anything for at least a month after surgery. The anesthesia makes me really sick. That being said, you would think that I would lose weight after each surgery. Not so. I gained 11 pounds last December after having 2 surgeries in 2 days. The fluids that they fill you full of take time to drain out of your system. I am usually okay with that, because I realize that I would rather be hydrated than not.

So, don't get discouraged. I haven't seen a single person on the boards who hasn't lost weight. It is impossible.

Good luck!!! I can't wait to watch your progress!
kathie09
roxi's mom
on 7/30/11 8:01 am - TN
thanku katie.  kind words are so nice to see sometimes thats all u need.  i will watch ur progress too but k.i.t.                melissa
sandy_mt
on 7/30/11 7:18 am
 I had revision surgery on 07/11.  On the day of surgery I was 289.  On the 2nd day post op I was walking the hospital floor and stepped on a scale that was in the hallway.  I weighed 308!!!!  A week later I still hadn't come down to my pre-surgery weight.  You are pumped with a lot of fluids and who knows what else.  I am not even 3 weeks post op and am down to 264.  Trust me, it will fall off fast, at first, but the others are right about not weighing yourself so early on.  It will mess with your head.  Best of luck to you!!

Sandy

roxi's mom
on 7/30/11 8:09 am - TN
ok that makes me feel better  u r doing great   25 lbs in 3 weeks i can handle that.lol  thanks sweetie.  i just see this on here with no mention of not seeing anything lost for weeks initially.  and im sure all of us on here have had problems with loosing weight in the past several times in our lives and i just thought oh great ur kiddin me  i travel to mexico and have surgery in a hell hole and now nothing and ive not even been eating   frustrating  but i will focus on 3 weeks or so out and pray that i see some results then.  id be so happy.  thanku sweetie.  keep me posted please.                      melissa
Recent Topics