Artichokes

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 2:21 am - Beverly, NJ

I'm addicted. have been my whole life!  I'm not talking dip here, I'm talking steamed and dipped in loads of butter.  

So my question is... When can I have these again?  What are the nutritional facts on one of these bad boys?

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 2:31 am - San Jose, CA
I don't know about nutrition, or when you can eat them (when you feel like you can?), but just want to note that I view artichokes as a fiber-filled mechanism for transporting mayo into my mouth.  Sometimes butter, but I prefer mayo, with some lemon juice stirred in.  Win-win.
newyorkbitch
on 7/30/11 4:16 am
Diana,  try mayo mixed with a bit of plain greek yogurt,  salt,  lemon juice.

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 4:30 am - San Jose, CA
Are you trying to sneak some protein into my otherwise utterly decadent yet guit-free fat-fest??
newyorkbitch
on 7/30/11 4:54 am, edited 7/30/11 4:54 am
Oh gawd no.  It's actually just really good - adds a bit of tang to it.  Squeezing a clove of garlic into it wouldn't hurt either.  :-)
had_enuf
on 7/30/11 3:38 pm - East Bay, CA
 Diana,
Have you used Olive Oil Mayo? YUMMY! And I like a few drops of Tabasco in mine with artichokes.
       Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

Julie R.
on 7/30/11 2:33 am - Ludington, MI
Well, I was eating salad at like six weeks out, but I have an iron gut (it's just the flour and sugar that kills me).    Chokes are low carb, and as Diana says, a wonderful transport system for fat.   I eat them like they are going out of style when they are in season.   Just don't compromise your protein intake at this point.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Twi light
on 7/30/11 2:34 am - NY
I dont know what your post op instructions are, but i for example can already eat soft cooked vegetables.     I would steam them , make sure they soft, chew them well and try them and see how i react, things to high in fiber do not agree with me yet but it also depends on how much of that item i eat. You probably not going to be eatin 10 artichokes in one sitting.

this is for 1 artichoke

Calories 60

Total Fat 0.2g
Saturated Fat 0.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 120mg
Total Carbohydrates 13.5g 4%
Dietary Fiber 6.9g
Sugars 1.3g
Protein 4.2g