Psych Evaluation

kahlana
on 7/29/11 11:04 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Okay the test was no big deal. I talked with the psychiatrist for approximately an hour about my support system, extended family, goals for the surgery, the procedure itself and what all I thought it entailed, then I took 2 separate written  tests. The first one was 596 true/false questions about things like how I handle stress, how I handle anger, how I deal with being in a crowd, if I like the arts or sports better, if I think about suicide or have tried it before. The only question on it that kind of threw me off for a second was "My people aren't very supportive of me in ...." I kept thinking of all the times in movies or commercials when they say "My people will call your people" LOL I did have to ask for clarification on that one because if they meant those kind of people, well I don't have those kind of people but if it meant my family and  friends then it was going to be a different answer altogether. The second test was 51 questions about my eating habits. Mostly of the "on a scale of 1 to 5" type things.

The psychiatrist said she had never had anyone come through for the bariatric program with as much knowledge not just about their life after the surgery but also about their chosen procedure itself. I will have to wait for a month and a half to see the surgeon for my second consultation but in the meantime he will be recieving my psych evaluation that has a glowing recommendation on it.

So another HUGE thank you to the vets on this board who have paid it forward and made sure the info is available out there for all us newbies! You guys so rock and THANK YOU for all you do to promote education and understanding about all of the different surgeries available.
So for now, I keep up with my food journal for the next month, continue trying to quit smoking, adding in a little more exercise everyday, and continue on with my therapy to make sure I am dealing well with any issues that may be linked to food for me. Is it just me or is time flying by???

My Blog My Facebook

Sean_B
on 7/30/11 12:50 am - Schenectady, NY
Wow... sounds like they gave you the MMPI.  I didn't think they did that for bariatric preop eval.. My eval was only a regular 45 min session followed by the psych writing a letter and faxing it to my surgeon's office.

in any event, glad it worked out for you.... you're one step closer

Pre: 324 Now: 185-190 http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v362/171/99/1251208761/n1251208761_30154298_7588.jpg

Elizabeth N.
on 7/30/11 3:22 am - Burlington County, NJ
The evaluations vary a LOT. There are lots of psych docs who use the MMPI for pretty much everything. I saw one like that eons ago for other stuff and it was basically part of his intake procedure. He was very rigid about his interpretations of it, which I now know is a bad thing, but hey, back then, notsomuch.

kahlana
on 7/30/11 12:32 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Thanks Sean. I think it helped to just go in with the idea of being honest and believing that if this is right for me then it will happen as it's supposed to :) But they had told me when I set up the appointment that it would be 4 hours. It was just under 2... I was fast  lol

My Blog My Facebook

MsBatt
on 7/30/11 3:51 am
Go post something similar on the MB, especially the parts about "with as much knowledge not just about their life after the surgery but also about their chosen procedure itself" and "So another HUGE thank you to the vets on this board who have paid it forward and made sure the info is available out there for all us newbies! You guys so rock and THANK YOU for all you do to promote education and understanding about all of the different surgeries available."

They seem to be a trifle anti-knowledge over there lately.
beemerbeeper
on 7/30/11 8:57 am - AL
"anti-knowledge"  made me spit grape flavored water all over my toy computer. 

~Becky

kahlana
on 7/30/11 12:26 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
MsBatt ouch. that doesn't sound so good. So yes I will x-post this no problem lol.

My Blog My Facebook

beth-28
on 7/30/11 9:34 am
Ha! Your psych sounds like mine. She told me I was the most normal patient she had ever seen. I made her go out to the waiting room and tell my husband that! I said he wouldn't believe me so I made her tell him. Lol...I still don't think he believes.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

kahlana
on 7/30/11 12:30 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Beth, yeah I think I had a hidden advantage, though, I will NEVER admit it to her. I am currently studying to become a counselor and am reading a LOT of psych stuff lol. Seriously though I am glad to know I am not crazy... just a lil confuzzled at times lol.

My Blog My Facebook

beth-28
on 7/30/11 2:11 pm
Haha...I love it!  It sounds like we have a lot in common!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Recent Topics