Concerns About Gas & Hair Loss with DS??

kahlana
on 7/29/11 11:51 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Elizabeth, I see that. Ok so re-reading again. Thanks

My Blog My Facebook

Elizabeth N.
on 7/30/11 2:38 am - Burlington County, NJ
I guess I should amend again to further explain: We get an increase in estrogen levels as it gets released from....oh crap, I don't think it's directly IN the fat, but as we release the fat, whatever mechanism gets activated so that estrogen gets liberated. So there's more estrogen in our bloodstream for a time, followed by an eventual drop as our fat stores decrease. THAT makes the lovely hormonal rollercoaster effect. Ugh.

But estrogen changes have little bearing on the acute hair loss postop. That is telogen effluvium, which you can find easily enough on Google.

AllieInOntario
on 7/27/11 11:25 pm
A little vanity from a different perspective.  Although I did not have diabetes, my paternal grandmother died of it.  Before she died however, 6 years before, she lost her leg to it.  

Body wise, I'm the spitting image of my grandmother.  Along with a lot of good reasons for the DS, - best success rate etc... not wanting to potentially lose a limb was a motivation factor for me.  Not the only factor, but certainly a factor.

I'm 5 weeks out.  I have pretty reg BM's.   I started my Iron and Calcium supps the first week out.  They aren't any stinkier than they were before.  I did have one time the first week where I had to do the "shart-shuffle" to make it to the can in time.  Other than that - the VETS have posted: never trust a fart early on.  IT's good advice because it teaches/trains you to help your body get back it's control.

I have pretty good hair - don't know what will happen to it.  But I do understand the hair issue, as my mother before dying of cancer, was terrified to lose her hair.  She was facing death and she was still worried about her hair.  I realize to some, that seems like a TOTALLY dumb thing to be worried about, but holding on to things like that tend to be about needing to grasp on to some form of control about the uncontrollable.  So no worries,... there seems to be genetics involved, as Elizabeth mentioned, but for most,... it grows back.  ******'s advice about Vites and Protein are the BEST defense.  I've seen RyY'ers who have lost a pile of hair and haven't seen it grow back.  We on the DS side seem to have a better appreciation, or perhaps have it drilled into us better that we have to DO certain things, or our body will divorce us... slowly :)  All doable stuff...all totally liveable stuff. :)

cheers.
Allie

Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 9:12 am
goodkel
on 7/29/11 5:46 am
Hair loss is not a DS problem. You can get it having your tonsils removed or with any other WLS. You can't control it and it is really NO BIG DEAL. For the vast majority of people, it grows right back in a few months.

Gas IS controllable and an RnY issue as well. Again, for the vast majority of people NO BIG DEAL.

What IS a big deal is your attitude. You'll need both a thicker skin and more humility if you're going to have the DS. Because this board is very likely the only thing that will have the information you'll need to remain healthy and lose the weight. The most knowledgeable among us tend to shoot from the hip and not suffer fools gladly. And no amount of whining or complaining is going to change the dynamic that has worked here for years. You'll just alienate yourself if you even try.

And really, you HAVE to admit that even considering turning your back on the only cure for your deadly diabetes because you're afraid of a little hair thinning and gas IS exceedingly foolish. 
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 7:51 am - MN
Good heavens!  So you had to get your *****y two cents in, huh?  Do you smug SOB's realize that there are other boards out there that do not have this same tone?  Lots of nice people here but some real spoilers too!  See ya later.  Don't need this crap. 
Elizabeth N.
on 7/29/11 9:37 am - Burlington County, NJ
Well, go enjoy the other boards then. I suspect you don't have what it takes to manage a DS if you think THIS was harsh. You're going to have to grow some gonads in order to navigate in a world where you have to be an advocate for yourself against everyone from chronic dieters to medical people.....not to mention to forum nannies. 

goodkel
on 7/29/11 1:06 pm
"Good heavens!  So you had to get your *****y two cents in, huh?  Do you smug SOB's realize that there are other boards out there that do not have this same tone?  Lots of nice people here but some real spoilers too!  See ya later.  Don't need this crap."

Like we get paid to take her ignorant crap?

Buh-bye.  
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Rena H.
on 7/29/11 8:40 am - Spokane, WA
lol! what the heck did i just miss? Crazy explodes in and flounces out. Nice.
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

Elizabeth N.
on 7/29/11 9:38 am - Burlington County, NJ
Meh. Another one who thinks her farts won't stink and her hair won't fall out if she has RNY. Oh, and we're sew meen, don't forget.

Recent Topics