Concerns About Gas & Hair Loss with DS??

Elizabeth N.
on 7/28/11 1:31 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Hmmm. Here I was all nice to the OP and she blocked me. Guess I didn't hold her widdle hand softly enough.

P. Poster
on 7/27/11 9:04 pm
 Hair loss is inevitable...  With the DS, the RNY, having a baby, getting your gal bladder out, rapid weight loss, ect- anything that stresses the body will flip you into Telogen Effluvium and cause hair loss.  Good news?  It grows back, AS LONG AS you are taking care of yourself!  I can't tell you how many RNYers I've seen with barely there hair, years after surgery, because they don't know how or refuse to take care of themselves, and the malabsorption of the RNY just isn't made as impressionable on them as it would be for the DS.  It's STILL malabsorption!   Don't let hair make this decision for you, dear God!  How pretty will you be blind and without legs because your Type 2 Diabetes has gotten out of control?  

As to passing gas- I work in very close quarters in a medical office.  I see patients all day long, and RARELY get a break.  If gas were a dibilitating issue, there is no way I could do my job...  *I* hae control over it though, as do 99% of all DSers.  So, I choose to not eat **** during the day that will cause me issues.  I "tivo" that stuff for when I am home, and voila, no problems.  In fact, at this point (14 months postop) there aren't many things that cause me gas anyway, and I'm very aware of the things that do- it's a FAST learning curve.  

One final note- you control your experience here on OH.  If there are people you don't like the delivery from, you have the option to block them and not see them.  I STRONGLY advise against that though, as the very people you have picked out in this post (along with many others you will run into here) are our LONG TERM DS veterans.  They have lived and breathed the DS for as long as 10+ years, and REALLY know every in and out.  AND, they take it upon themselves to KEEP COMING BACK here everyday, to help others.  Not because they have to, becaues they feel it is important that the TRUTH be shared, and people have the right information to stay alive and HEALTHY and enjoy life after this VERY BIG SURGERY that is often missquoted, even by medical professionals.  Yes, they can come off a bit brash, and some have a tough love approach- BUT, can you imagine answering the same question everyday for 10 years and never being thanked?  OH search function sucks, yes, but these things are discussed all the time around here- all we ask is that new folks have the gumption and self starting attitude to READ back and RESEARCH the wealth of knowledge and information found on this forum.  The Cliff Notes can be found at www.dsfacts.com BTW.
teachmid
on 7/27/11 9:43 pm - OKC, OK
Hi Mary and welcome,
I originally had a RNY many years ago and was revised to a DS last December. One of the big factors for me was my worsening diabetes and reactive hypoglycemia. The previous 2 years had been a nightmare.

My last dose of insulin was 2 days after surgery. My HgA1C is in the normal range and I no longer check blood sugars. Also, my hypertension has resolved too. I now have substitutes vitamins for all the prescription meds. It was worth it, for me.
Good luck on your research.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

newyorkbitch
on 7/27/11 10:08 pm
Hair loss is going to happen with any weight loss surgery.  The drop in estrogen is the major culprit.  Estrogen drops precipitously because fat produces estrogen.  It's similar to the hair loss many women experience post partum - also because of the drop in estrogen level.

The stinky gas problem is...a problem.  It is NOT always possible to control it.
kahlana
on 7/27/11 11:02 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I have now read a lot of posts in this thread saying that a drop in estrogen levels is the culprit with hair loss. So wouldn't it be wise to get on estrogen therapy pre-op so that we have a defense against it? I mean we all start taking vitamins and getting in our protein pre-op so that we have the best chance for healing so why not start an estrogen regimen that could possibly stop the hair loss? Or is that not a good idea?
newyorkbitch
on 7/27/11 11:09 pm
Estrogen supplementation is risky too....hair loss is not a lifethreatening condition,  and for most it is temporary.  Just deal with the temporary hair loss and celebrate the health that the weight loss will bring you.

I had a baby in January.  My hair started falling out a couple of months later (totally expected, happens to lost of women post partum) and it's still falling out and the baby is over 6 months old.  That's life.  I'm not going to get on estrogen supplements - the drop in estrogen is SUPPOSED to happen,  just as shedding the excess estrogen-producing fat will result in a drop in estrogen.  Your estrogen levels return to NORMAL levels,  and the side effect is temporary hair loss (for most).  This too shall pass.  Focus on health,  not on hair.

kahlana
on 7/27/11 11:26 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Thankfully my hair is so thick I am actually looking forward to losing some of it. I wasn't kidding about wishing I could shave my head and start over. I was just wondering if having a lil extra help from estrogen supplementation would be helpful for people with extreme hair loss. Personally, I would rather be bald and alive than have a gorgeous head of hair and be dead.

My Blog My Facebook

AllieInOntario
on 7/27/11 11:32 pm
Mine takes me forever to blow-dry.  I have a lot of it right now and am really debating having it all lopped off :)   Depends on the day. :)
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Elizabeth N.
on 7/27/11 11:48 pm - Burlington County, NJ
No, that is NOT a wise idea. Hair loss is cosmetic and almost always temporary. Messing with your estrogen levels when not absolutely necessary has a bunch of potential consequences. Comparing estrogen to supplements is a big error in thinking.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/28/11 2:18 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I'm sorry to come back to this again, but it didn't dawn on me until I thought about it a little more after I responded the first time to you here this morning:

Kahlana, honey, there's another BIG error in reading comprehension here. Go back and read about the estrogen thing again. Those who talk about estrogen are talking about INCREASES in estrogen. Estrogen therapy is for people who LOSE it, not those who gain it. So it's not just a bad, dangerous idea, it's also totally inappropriate  to draw that conclusion based on what you read in this thread.

This is why you get harped on kiddo. You reach conclusions completely unrelated to the info you are given. Keep thinking and working on it,  but try real hard to back up and look at what you're saying compared to what you're told. This is important.

Recent Topics