Concerns About Gas & Hair Loss with DS??

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 1:34 pm - MN
Thanks Paula,

You've all convinced me.  I was leaning there anyways but just had these horror story concerns.  I recently changed surgeons and this new one was the first one to talk about DS so it was all so new to me.  I do trust him though and while he's not saying I should absolutely do it, he's asking me to consider it due to the increased long term success with diabetes.  RNY by the way also successfully treats diabetes but apparently, it's not as long lasting as initial studies had shown.  And yes, I'm very familiar with all the pitfalls of diabetes.  Lost my husband and father to it.  I'm really not as shallow as some responders would judge me.  Thanks so much for your help.  I appreciate it. 

Mary
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 3:33 pm
DS on 02/01/12
I hope my post didn't come off as offensive to you, because I abo****ely didn't mean it to be. I'm in the same boat you are. And, when I first came here, I had a couple of people be very catty with me. If you really do intend to go through with the DS, please stay on this site. There are a lot of wonderful people here who are willing to help and offer advice. Most of them really do care. Others just have a hard way of showing it.
ABath
on 7/28/11 7:08 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13
Hi Mary,

I am a pre-op DSer (will probably have surgery in September). I was all set to have the RNY and ran across some of the posts from the vets who use tough love. Although I would personally probably choose to use a different tone in trying to share my knowledge, they do know what they are talking about. I too was turned off at first but then I thought, "I'm going to check this thing out that they are so passionate about." Once I got to the DS board, I realized that they were right and I have learned to overlook the "tone" that is used and glean the knowledge that they have.

I lost 50 lbs on the HCG diet (the weight comes very fast on that diet) and I lost a big percentage of my hair. I started taking Biotin and my hair grew back enough that my stylist noticed it. I would recommend using it as much as possible before the surgery and find a form that can be taken afterwards. It's funny, but I just asked that question yesterday on the board.

Working in a cubicle myself (at a tax/audit firm no less so it is VERY quiet here), the thought of making those awful noises and smells almost sent me running for the hills. BUT....then I thought about being able to stand up without pain, walking up the stairs to the next floor instead of the elevator and actually being able to breathe and talk when I get there, being able to carry my purse when we go out to lunch (because with my purse, I become too heavy for my feet and I can't walk), and so many other "little" things that I just decided that I will bring air freshener and they can just deal with it.

I wish you good luck in your decision. You have to choose based on what is right for you but with diabetes, please, please, research the DS. I have a feeling that you'll be happy that you did.

Height: 5'1" HW: 229 SW: 203 CW: 147.7

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 1:23 pm - MN
I really appreciate the helpful posts and there were many.  I deffinately got my answer which is that it's all being managed by each of you.  That's what I needed, not to be scolded for asking.  In my upbringing, knowledge doesn't exempt kindness and manners so I'm not buying that.  I wish you all well.

Mary
DianaRR
on 7/27/11 1:34 pm - CA
I just had the surgery on July 11th and my diabetes is already under control. My medicines are stopped and my fasting blood sugar today was 108

The DS really does control diabetes fast!
Elizabeth N.
on 7/27/11 3:07 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Plenty of RNYers get gas issues too. It isn't DS specific. For that matter, non-operated people's farts stink as well.

As for hair....I'm one of the few whose hair did not come back. I have quite a patch of male pattern baldness going. Guess what? It's only hair. I started collecting hats and wigs and now I have fun with it. You'll see a few of them if you look at my profile photos.

Attitude is everything. The DS saved my life and left me with the risk of bad farts if I eat the wrong thing, and with a rather bald head. Guess who's the winner by any possible measure?

elliebean21
on 7/27/11 4:12 pm
Hey,

I am new to the site too! It does feel like some of the veterans have forgotten what it felt like to be new to everything. It's scary and overwhelming at times (for me anyway), and with such a big decision it's not easy to make. There are lots of potential side effects and you deserve to ask about each and every one of them because they all feed in to that decision. Obviously the potential or even proven rewards out weigh the risks or you wouldn't be this far along in the consideration, but you don't want to be sideswiped during recovery with any thing you could have known more about.

I have found the DS to be the much better choice for myself, and as far as the gas...I thought that was the funniest part of the overview. Isn't most gas bad smelling when it comes from out behinds?

I hadn't thought about the hair loss as much until I read your question, so I'd also like to thank you for helping me take a closer look at things.

Good luck with everything!
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 10:27 pm - MN
My honey had RNY and while fellas seem to always have stinkier gas anyways (why is that anyways?), after surgery, it would sometimes make my hair curl!!  It embarrassed him and I found him opting out of social events because of it.  He wasn't so careful with his diet after surgery and those offending food choices though so perhaps, with some knowledge, he might have dealt with that better. 
Elizabeth N.
on 7/27/11 11:46 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Oh fer...... Listen, if you think any one of us has forgotten what it's like, you are ******g nuts. GIVE ME A BREAK ALREADY.

If you get your feelers hurt by someone making plain statements, then chances are very good that you don't have a thick enough skin or assertive enough personality to maneuver your way through the masses of ignorant (of the DS and the specialized issues it brings) medical professionals that will be a part of your life forever.

Sometimes it gets so damned tiresome to read this kind of whining that I wonder why I bother with anyone like you.

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 12:53 am - Lancaster, OH
On July 27, 2011 at 11:12 PM Pacific Time, elliebean21 wrote:
Hey,

I am new to the site too! It does feel like some of the veterans have forgotten what it felt like to be new to everything. It's scary and overwhelming at times (for me anyway), and with such a big decision it's not easy to make. There are lots of potential side effects and you deserve to ask about each and every one of them because they all feed in to that decision. Obviously the potential or even proven rewards out weigh the risks or you wouldn't be this far along in the consideration, but you don't want to be sideswiped during recovery with any thing you could have known more about.

I have found the DS to be the much better choice for myself, and as far as the gas...I thought that was the funniest part of the overview. Isn't most gas bad smelling when it comes from out behinds?

I hadn't thought about the hair loss as much until I read your question, so I'd also like to thank you for helping me take a closer look at things.

Good luck with everything!
Um, yeah.......

I haven't forgotten what it felt like (although I don't know if I even qualify as a "veteran" since I'm coming up on just 4 years with my DS).

What I DO remember is that I didn't demand to be spoon-fed and coddled every step of the way.  THAT'S what I sometimes get tired of with the newer posters.

I asked a question, and was grateful for input.  I didn't try to manage the "tone" of the responses by whining about the delivery.

And another thing.  I read A LOT OF OLDER THREADS before throwing up one of my own.  If I found the information that I needed, I didn't feel the need to start a new thread.
Recent Topics