OT: Gall bladder removal for normies

beemerbeeper
on 7/26/11 12:38 am - AL
I'm lucky to know nurses here in this town and am working as we "speak" to get their recs for a surgeon.    Thanks for your wishes.

~Becky

beth-28
on 7/25/11 4:58 pm
Hey Becky,

Tell your daughter not to be surprised if she gets offered a "souvenir" after surgery. Everyone that I know who have had their GB removed (myself included) have had the doctor give them a jar that holds the gallstones he removed during surgery.

Lol!!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

beemerbeeper
on 7/26/11 12:39 am - AL
I would not be surprised if my dd refuses her souvenir!  haha. 

~Becky

airbender
on 7/25/11 7:56 pm
ahhh, I am sure you would switch places with your daughter in a second, it is so hard for a mom to see this (or dad)  I had my gb removed with the ds (yes not the same) but i do know of people who have had it removed without the ds.  they have done great, and the diet they consume is normal PO.  hope you get some peace with the info you get, it is so tough to see your kids have to have surgery-been there done that.....
beemerbeeper
on 7/26/11 12:40 am - AL
It is sucky for sure.  DD2 had the ear tubes x3, this dd had her tonsils out and this is surgery #3.  I had never had surgery at all until my DS !!!  I could skip the whole thing.

~Becky

shannn
on 7/25/11 9:31 pm - Knoxville , TN
I had my gb removed when I was 30 following the birth of my son. The attacks are excruciating (worse than childbirth for me) so I wouldn't wait too long to make a decision. Afterwards eating really fatty foods could cause me some urgency in having to get to the bathroom. It was never painful just somethin to be aware of. I had to make sure that a bathroom was available and not go too far away from one. I never really changed my eating habits though just made sure I was aware.
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

beemerbeeper
on 7/26/11 12:42 am - AL
Thanks shannon,

She's been in pain for 5 weeks and working anyway.  It wasn't until she got a kidney infection that she finally went to a doctor.  I'm just glad this doctor did an ultrasound on the same day he saw her and got this dx.

~Becky

Dreamofpeace
on 7/25/11 11:36 pm - Rochester, MN
I had my gallbladder removed at age 30 and had no issues with diet afterwards.  Like another poster mentioned, fatty foods were much worse before the surgery than after.   I had been through laproscopic surgery before for the lap band and found I healed easier after the gallbladder vs. the lap band.  My hospital stay was overnight but my husband's grandma went in a few weeks later to have her gallbladder out and she was discharged the same day and felt great. 

Make sure she gets her stones....they will be the most expensive "rock garden" she'll have in her life:)  I've heard people make jewelry out of their stones
beemerbeeper
on 7/26/11 12:42 am - AL
Thanks!!

~Becky

KellyJTn
on 7/26/11 12:32 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago and was told to go on a strict diet afterwards also. I didn't, and I have felt 100% fine. I had to be on a special diet BEFORE the the removal just to keep myself from having attacks. Not now though. I feel great! I've known plenty of people who have had theirs removed and none go by a special diet now and have no issues.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Recent Topics