OT: Gall bladder removal for normies

beemerbeeper
on 7/25/11 2:12 pm - AL
My poor 26 yo daughter was told she needs to have her gall bladder removed.  Of course we will get a second opinion but I've been reading that a low fat diet is recommended post this surgery.

She's a naturally thin girl and I hate for her to have to be on a "diet" for the rest of her life.

Anyone who can share experience with gall bladder removal in a normal young person please share.  And anyone who can help calm the "mom nerves" that would be appreciated as well. 

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/11 2:24 pm - OH
I have not had my gallbladder removed myself, but my mother had her's removed a few years ago, and my best friend had her removed about 9 months ago.  They both eat completly normal (both are somewhat overweight).  In fact my friend was hoping she WOULD have problems with fat to help her lose weight.  However, that didn't happen. They can both still fully indulge in deep fried or fatty foods.  But...a co-worker had her gallbladder removed (not sure when) and she said she can't eat things that are super fatty, but still eats a very normal diet.

Hope that helps.
beemerbeeper
on 7/26/11 12:35 am - AL
Thanks Barb.  That did help.

~Becky

Diane Davis
on 7/25/11 2:41 pm
Becky, I had more problems with fat prior to my gall bladder removal than I did afterwards.  Fat just killed me prior to surgery, never had anymore problems after!

I know what you're going through. Anytime my daughter has a medical or life crises issue, I'm a mess!

Hugs, she'll feel so much better once it's out!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
beemerbeeper
on 7/26/11 12:35 am - AL
I hope the antibiotic she is on works so we can get this scheduled.  Thanks for your support (as always).

~Becky

beth-28
on 7/25/11 2:48 pm
I had my GB removed 3 months after my son was born. I was 26  years old. I had it done lap, and was sent home the same day. Once I healed, I had no problems with any food (as evidenced by my weight ).
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

beemerbeeper
on 7/26/11 12:37 am - AL
My other daughter's bf is having 6 hours of knee reconstruction and going home (100 miles by car) the SAME day so surely they will send this one home the same day!  Thanks for your info.

~Becky

StacyB88888
on 7/25/11 3:28 pm - FL
Mine went shortly after my second son was born....infected... blocked ducts...fun stuff...according to my surgeon the stones were the size of ping pong balls. Prior to that I had 2 attacks that I thought were bad.....they were nothing compared to the last one.

I asked about diet restrictions and the doctor said there were none which surprised me because my grandfather who had his out 25 years earlier had all sorts of restrictions. After the gall bladder is gone I would stay close to bathrooms for a few months after surgery....fatty foods did cause super urgent situations for a long time.

Your daughter is likely to feel a lot better after surgery...I had no idea how cruddy I felt until the gall bladder was gone...I also believe getting the gall bladder out of the way helped me notice all the bad reations I was having to gluten.

beemerbeeper
on 7/26/11 12:38 am - AL
She has been feeling bad for at least 5 weeks.  So I know she is ready to feel better.  Thanks for your support.

~Becky

BBoop
on 7/25/11 4:48 pm
Know the surgeon and then go from there.  I had ER gallbladder surgery..didn't know the surgeon but thank God he was good.  I had it lap and went home two days later...meaning really the next day since I went in very late on a Fri...had the surgery on Sat early AM and was home on Sun mid PM.

Calm yourself, mom, I know you are scared but seriously, just check out the surgeon and it should be an easy fix.

I wish your daugher all the best,

Betty
Recent Topics