What to expect with Dr Keshishian...

kathie09
on 7/24/11 6:27 pm - not available
Dear DS friends

I can't believe it!...tomorrow I am going to get a date for a DS with Dr Keshishian!!! I am thrilled beyond what I can express....and so thankful for these boards. I have been working for this for years - so I hope ya'll will make room for me on the loser's bench!

I'm just wondering about a few things. I know different doctors have different ways of doing things, and I'm wondering if any of you post Dr K patients can give me advice. I will be travelling out of state to have the surgery, so keep in mind that I won't have a ton of room to pack things that aren't completely necessary.

Any tips that you can give me on how to make this the best possible experience would be great! I'm concerned about the following things:

What hotel should I choose? I usually stay with Marriott - and I love their service, but I couldn't find one close to the hospital.

What should I pack for clothing? It was suggested that I bring tops that open and close in the front, but I don't really own any of those. Would a really stretchy shirt work just as well?

Will I have any tubes or drains post surgery?

I'm trying to decide who will stay with me while I'm in California. My MIL will come, but she is getting older and really can't help with much (other than emotional support) Should I choose someone else? My husband will be with me for the first five days, but will have to return to work after that.

Anything I should try to see while I am there? Will I feel like going out after a few days, or should I just count on a lot of movie and magazine time?

I will take whatever you can dish. I'm so nervous that I can't sleep! I know that is normal too. Send me your best. Can't wait to read all about it!
kathie09
Dial_M.
on 7/24/11 7:56 pm - Los Angeles-ish, CA
Congrats on your upcoming surgery! With Dr. K you're in great hands!

I didn't travel for surgery so I can't suggest any hotels. Are you having surgery in Delano or Glendale? That'll help other folks give you hotel suggestions.

I brought tops that close in the front but didn't really use them because they weren't loose enough. My stomach area was very swollen for weeks after surgery. I'd recommend tops, pants, and underwear that are loose or even the next size up because of swelling. I wasn't keen on pants for many weeks after surgery. At home I wore casual dresses, housecoats, and even walked around without pants on!

I was in the hospital for 4 days and had my drains removed on the day I left but most people have them removed around 10 days. It depends on how much output the drains are collecting.

I would reconsider who you will have help you when you are released from the hospital. Emotional support is wonderful but most importantly you'll need someone who can help you physically. Can your husband stay with you after instead of during the hospital stay? The staff takes excellent care of you. You'll really need someone when you are released. I needed help getting out of bed, wiping, bathing etc... If you can't have someone who can help you physically, medical stores and amazon sell products to assist in wiping. An EZ grabber (what is used to pick up trash at amusement parks) would be handy to pick up things. Target sells them for around $10. Bring footware that you can slip on because it's painfully impossible to bend down to put socks and shoes on.
I found that because at first drinking water, well sipping, takes so long that my water bottle would reach room temp before I could fini**** So I picked up the lil 8 oz. bottles and highly recommend them.

If you're having surgery in Glendale, the Descanso gardens are just down the street. Everybody responds differently. I was a couch potato. If you're not up to it maybe you can stop by at your follow up.

Best wishes!

~Michelle

"Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for." ~Earl Warren

kathie09
on 7/24/11 8:05 pm - not available
Michelle

Thanks so much for taking the time to post! I'm especially thankful for your advice on postoperative care. I am going to find someone who is a little more physically capable of helping me.

I'm also thankful for the note on the EZ grabber. I'm going to go get one asap! And, I will bring my slip on shoes.

I don't know which hospital I'll be staying in. I will ask that tomorrow.

Thanks again!

kathie09
Dial_M.
on 7/24/11 8:23 pm - Los Angeles-ish, CA
You're welcome. When you find out be sure to let us know your surgery date and hospital

~Michelle

"Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for." ~Earl Warren

teachmid
on 7/24/11 10:04 pm - OKC, OK
Kathie,
I had a revision, so there may be some differences. I was in the hospital for 4 days and was discharged with 2 drains and a feeding tube. I think basically all I did the first 2 weeks was sip, walk and sleep and sleep. And, I needed help for bathing, tube management, dressing and all that stuff, too.

On Dr. K's website there's a FAQ where all the hotels are listed. We had a rental care and stayed in Pasadena.

You'll be in the office 2 days in a row before surgery. The first day is an orientation with him and possibly other patients, then a private consult with him. The next day is paperwork, a consult and physical with him, and hospital pre-op paper work and labs.

I think I wore primarily strechy pj type clothes for the first 2 weeks. If you're flying, don't forget wheelchair assistance for the trip home.

Good luck on getting your date.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

lk1970
on 7/24/11 11:59 pm
So glad you are on your way!!!!!!!

Lisa

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

kathie09
on 7/25/11 5:12 am - not available
Lisa!

Thank you for being so excited for me! This has been one very long road, and I am so thankful that the pre-op drama is almost done.

You have been an extremely important part of this journey. I'm so thankful that we met, and so grateful for your unselfish acts of support and love here on the boards.

I'm So Excited!!!!!!
kathie09
(deactivated member)
on 7/25/11 4:37 am
smileyjamie72
on 7/25/11 6:51 am - Palmer, AK

I ditto waht Gail said.... I traveled from Alaska to see Dr. K for a consult (Long story.... insurance BS).
He is AWSOME!!!!  He has the bomb of bowties & he will draw diagrams with colored sharpie markers, he wants you to UNDERSTAND about your surgery!!!!

http://www.dssurgery.com/program/downloads/doc-03.pdf

I am still awaiting the decision from my appeal for my revision.......

Good LUCK!!!!!
Jamie from Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

DianaRR
on 7/25/11 9:16 am - CA
I just had my DS with Dr. K on the 11th. I went home on the 4th day and had drain tubes removed on the 8th day. See if your hotel can get you a recliner, because it really is more comfortable than a bed the first 10 days.

I had an open surgery and the incision stops just above my belly button. Pants weren't really comfortable for long. I left the hospital in a mumu kind of lounge dress. That was comforable for me. I had no problem lifting my arms to get it over my head.
Best wishes on your surgery!
Recent Topics