Preparing for Labs - Quick Question

DivaJojo
on 6/6/11 11:36 pm - Atlanta, GA
No seriously, just one quick question . . .

Since I'll be discussing my lab needs with my PCP tomorrow with the intention of having them drawn, I need to know now  . . . is there anything in particular I need to do in preparation (fasting, etc.)?  I don't want to give them (and me) any excuse to postpone.  Thanks.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

MarciRenee
on 6/7/11 12:46 am - IA
Fasting:

Food = 10-12 hours
Vites/Supps = 24 hours
Marci       
DivaJojo
on 6/7/11 1:06 am - Atlanta, GA
Dang, seriously?!!!

Okay, I think I'll be fine with the food, but I'm afraid to stop the vites (funny considering the cir****tances), but I don't want to scew the numbers.  Thanks.

MarciRenee
on 6/7/11 1:09 am - IA
If you don't stop them for 24 hours they will skew the nubmers so that your levels look higher than they really are.  And considering your situation having an accurate picutre of what's going on is MORE important than miss 24 hours worth of vites.
Marci       
P. Poster
on 6/7/11 2:05 am
 *Like*  This is true.
DivaJojo
on 6/7/11 2:13 am - Atlanta, GA

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What I meant was that even though I don't want to stop them, I will because I don't want to do anything to skew the numbers.  Thanks.

gak
on 6/7/11 12:05 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
I have never fasted for my labs via food or vits. I was told he prefers a fast for the "big set of labs' but not the ones in between, then the nurses said, whatever is best for you, we know some people can't fast that long, but whichever, do it consistently so the results are consistent.

I really do not understand how stopping something we have to take can change numbers that drastically to make a different for the 12 or 24 hrs some have stated. This is of course my opinion. When in school, there were big fusses about which to fast for and which not and all the scientific reasons as well.  Possibly those reasons have developed over the years, as that way a long time ago.

So I think if you are consistent that is what is important.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 66 views