Vites and Money

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/11 6:51 am - WAKE FOREST, NC
Sorry to hear about your husband's job loss, Julie! My husband has been laid off twice (both times for 6+ months) so I understand exactly where you're at. ((HUGS))
Lori B.
on 3/25/11 4:00 am - Great Mills, MD
I'm an engineer and I have to analyze the crap out of everything.  I'm also very thrifty.  So I did a comparison of what my NUT suggested (multivite adek, calcium, iron) purchased through Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage.  I can't remember exactly the cost, but it was $50+ a month. 

I want to do better than that though!  I want to be on Vitalady's schedule.  I think the last time I saw her DS estimate is was $85 per month.  Ouch, but think of the money you are saving on food after the DS. 

Still hoping to save more, I came across Puritan's Pride.  They often have B1G1 free/B2G3 free sales.  I purchased everything I could in bulk from them.  I have 6-12 months supply on everything they had.  I was careful to make sure I was using the proper vites equivalent to the VL schedule.  I purchased my Calcium Citrate from Walgreens.com during a big sale.  Then the Dry ADE & K and Magnesium Citrate I'm getting from Vitalady herself.  I ran the numbers, and by buying somewhat in bulk and while on sale, my average monthly vitamin bill is way down.  I can't find my spreadsheet, which is probably on my work computer, but it was less than $40 a month.  So, I'm spending less per month to take the best possible care of myself than I would be following my NUT's less than comprehensive suggestions.

It will require an upfront investment, but it really is important.  Maybe you could cut back elsewhere, and you are saving on food compared to before surgery.  We don'****ch much TV in the summer, so for 3-4 months of the year I suspend dish service.  If there's something we really want to see, we watch it online.  Although I do miss the convenience of DVR for those months, I like to save the money, and we are less likely to stay glued to the couch.  Just a thought!  My son is cool with it, but some families would probably revolt, lol.

Also, if you have access to a Health Savings Account through work, you can get the cost of the vitamins, minerals, protein supplements, and many other expenses reimbursed through that. This is saving me a lot of money this year!

Good luck!!
Lori

beemerbeeper
on 3/25/11 4:24 am - AL
Great post Lori.  ***like***

~Becky~

Lori B.
on 3/25/11 4:39 am - Great Mills, MD
Thanks Becky!

Amanda R.
on 3/25/11 7:13 am - Clinton, TN
I agree. These suggestions are very very helpful. I have no where that I can cut money out of my budget. I'm barely living on my disability and it is hard to find money where there isn't any.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/25/11 7:26 am
Lori gave such good advice.

I get what I can from Costco, then Vitalady for A and D, then Vitacost for the buy2get three or more.

And as for the making and investment and stocking up, that saves a ton of $$! I actually have a closet devoted to vitamins since I'm so stocked up.
Helen C.
on 3/25/11 7:00 am - Wisconsin Rapids, WI
I took part of our tax refund this year and bought all of my vites for the year. I hit up puritans pride and got the majority of my vites with there buy 3 get 5 free deals. I did order my ADEK and Iron from vitalady and by ordering a whole years worth I ended up getting free shipping on it.

SO while it may not help this year next year if you get a tax refund consider taking some of that and just buying all your vites for the year. I will be doing the same thing next year as well.

Most Active
Recent Topics