Vites and Money

Amanda R.
on 3/25/11 1:07 am - Clinton, TN
I have a serious issue with being able to afford my vitamins. What I am doing now is 3 prenatals a day and a vitron-c a day. The prenatals were bringing my iron up but it started dropping in the last few months so they put me on the vitron-C to help bring it up.

I need some help with figuring out which vitamins to buy to help stretch my dollar. Reading some of the info on this board has me worried for my future well being. I'm just about 8.5 months out, 115 lbs or so down from pre-op and the only issue I have NOW is the anemia and low D from before surgery.
P. Poster
on 3/25/11 1:17 am
 Calcium citrate, iron, the fat soluble vites in DRY form (A, D, E, K), the B vites (B1, B5, B9, B12 mainly), zinc and a good multi a few times a day are pretty much non-negotiable.  I would TRY to get as many of these in script form as you can if you have insurance to cover them.  Proferrin Forte will cover your iron and B9.  Also a B12 injection.  The rest you will likely have to purchase.  I would suggest getting a Costco membership- you can get a good multi, calcium, zinc, and most of the B vites there in HUGE bottles for VERY cheap.  The dry fat solubles are the cheapest I've found in the RIGHT doses and formulation for US through Vitalady.
beemerbeeper
on 3/25/11 1:34 am - AL
I totally understand limited finances.  I really do.  But these vites are like AIR and WATER.  You cannot LIVE without them.

So you have to do what you have to do to get the vites you REQUIRE to live.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/11 1:38 am
You have a PM.
Amanda R.
on 3/25/11 1:40 am - Clinton, TN
What is a PM?
Amanda R.
on 3/25/11 1:41 am - Clinton, TN
I am looking into starting to use this: http://www.newlifebariatricsupplements.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_16&products_id=94

Is it comparable to what I actually need?
P. Poster
on 3/25/11 2:03 am
 Nope, not even close.
beemerbeeper
on 3/25/11 3:23 am - AL
How much do those cost?  Take that money and spend it on the vites you need.

~Becky

maryc543
on 3/25/11 1:45 am
My  vits run about 35-40/month.  I get them from different places and almost always stock up on the 2 for 1 sales.
   Costco:    Calcium Citrate (has some D, mg added)
                      MultiVitamin
     (these go on sale with a 3 dollar off coupon per bottle about every 6 months, I stock up!!)
      Trader Joes:    Vit b12 (with folic acid, b6 added)   sublingual   (never on sale)
    CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid        Vitamin C with Rose hips
                                                         Iron
                                                         Zinc
                          (These frequently go on the BOGO sales, so I stock up then)
                 My iron counts are good, and I tolerate the store brand iron....  you may need different!
     VitaLady      Vitamin D  50,000 units  (I take 3 a day)
                            Vitamin K
These Vita Lady vitamins aren't cheap, but nothing works for me like these do, so they're a better value than fixing a deficiency!   I eat a LOT of fish, maybe thats why, but I have high normal Vitamin A levels, so I don't have to supplement.
     I understand money is tight, but make friends with someone who has a Costco membership....  watch the local drug stores for 2 for 1 sales, and bite the bullet for your Dry D's, K's and A's if you need them....   Good Luck!        Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Julie R.
on 3/25/11 3:23 am - Ludington, MI
 You really need to get yourself on some D & A.  The one size fits all bariatric supplements just do not work.  I take sublingual D's and A's because I seem to absorb them better.   VItalady sells those as well as the dry D and A capsules.    Those are the only expensive ones.  The rest (zinc, copper, magnesium citrate, multi and B12) I get through VItacost.com or I get the BOGO sales or Sam's Club.    YOu're going to be in big trouble if you don't figure out how to do this.  I understand too - my DH lost his job a month ago and money has been tight tight TIGHT.   Also, oral iron just does not work for me.  I get infused, and insurance covers that.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics