First Check-Up.....

Heres2anewme
on 1/16/11 3:19 am - TX
I think it's like many here have said before. It seems like the Nuts base the info they give us off of what works with other surgeries and that does nothing for us DSers. Thanks for the advice!
Jamille            ~If it's God's will for me, then it will be~
                                            I Being A Mommy!!

jacq0122
on 1/16/11 3:44 am - TX
Hi Jamille,
     I am Jacque.  I had my DS / gastric sleeve one week before you did 12/08.  I was interested in the things you had written for many reasons. 
     I am nearly 6 weeks out and I can't keep hardly anything down.  Juice, tea, broth and water are the things I am able to get down and keep down.  Most everything else makes me feel sick to my stomach almost as soon as it hits bottom.  Sometime it comes back up in a few minutes. 
     I am eating slowly, chewing a lot and picking very soft items.  What is strange is the things I can sometimes eat with no problems are the things I shouldn't be with in 100 yards of.
     I have lost over 50 lbs since the surgery though so I am reaching my goal of weight loss but I just don't feel good about how it's happening.  I can't get the protein drinks down at all as they make me start gagging as soon as I smell them.  I am trying to eat the protein with scrambled eggs, cottage and string cheese but it's hard to eat when you know it's going to make you sick.  I am developing a serious food aversion.
     My question to you is how are you doing with your food ?   Are you having the same issue with nausea when ever you eat?  I guess I just want to know I am not alone and this reaction to the surgery is normal.  My Dr's office is terrible about giving you info.  They are so overbooked with pts. you are just a number and it seems like now that my surgery is paid for and over, I have been forgotten.  I definitely do not love my DR. or his staff.  But BCBS would only approve him in my area.  Why I have no idea?
    PS:  That same lady who was so rude to you was rude to me to last time I was on the site.  She acted like she was some kind of paid advisor for me.  I think she is just a little stressed out or something.  I hope she gets the message and rethinks the way she talks to folks.
Have a great day and thanks for any input you can give me about how your are doing!
Jac

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/11 3:49 am
Jac,

Are you on some type of PPI or acid reducer?  How about an anti-nausea medication?  Both of those can help.  Excess acid in your new stomach can present as nausea and/ or pain.  Another thing you might try is either ginger tea, tiny bits of fresh ginger or Canada Dry ginger ale. (let it go flat)

I wouldn't worry to much about food right now.  Make sure you get enough liquids and only eat what will stay down.  You will turn the corner pretty soon.

HTH,
Michele
jacq0122
on 1/16/11 5:31 am - TX
     The Dr. ordered Zuplenz strips and Promethazine liquid for nausea.  I haven't used any of it because I thought it was only for post surgery vomiting.  The only time I have nausea now is when I try to eat something.  I hadn't thought about using it for keeping food down?
     I will try the fresh ginger slivers and the flat ginger ale too. 
     But I am hungry.  I haven't eaten more than 3-4 bites of food at a time for nearly a month and a half.  My tummy aches and growls a lot, especially in the evening.  It only takes a few bites to fill me up but then, blurp, it comes right back up.  Plus with out getting down the protein I know I need, I am getting panicky about not gettting my daily quota in.  I don't want to end up making myself really sick.  There just has to be someone else who had my issue with the protein and found a good solution.  Hopefully they will see this post and give me some feed back.
     You guys are so kind to listen to us and offer your experience and knowledge.  All the feed back is so helpful.  Things that never crossed our minds.  
Thanks so very much,
Jac   

Heres2anewme
on 1/16/11 4:00 am - TX
Hi Jacque,

I think I have been very lucky as far as food is concerned. I've been able to keep down most everything that I've tried so far except for sardines. I read the protein content in them and got really excited but when I tried to eat a bit it came right back up and caused a stomach ache.

Although I haven't had any problems keeping things down, I've read many instances where others have, so you are definitely not alone. I really hate that your Dr. and his team aren't more supportive of and helpful to you. You are definitely in the right place because so many here have been there and done that and don't mind at all paying it forwad. Don't be shy to start a post and ask for suggestions. If you are able to keep creamy consistency foods down I'd say go for greek yogurt and creamy soups so that your stomach isn't irritated. Also I was given two prescriptions upon leaving the hospital one was for Carafate (which I no longer have to take) and it was to coat the stomach before I ate so that it wouldn't get so irritated. Did your doc give you this?

The protein drinks aren't easy for me because I'm not a fan of sweetner, it seems sooooo over the top sweet. I've been experimenting with other ways to get in protein. One way that my doctor's office suggests is 1% milk (1 gram of protein per ounce) coupled with powdered milk. It really is't that bad.

I think the best advice I can give you is to ask the vets here. So many people have had different experiences I'm sure someone can help you out. I sure do wish you the best and hope that the journey gets easier for you. You are doing a great job with your weight loss, I just hope that your nausea goes away. When is your next follow up?
Jamille            ~If it's God's will for me, then it will be~
                                            I Being A Mommy!!

jacq0122
on 1/16/11 5:19 am - TX
     Thanks so much for the info.  My first follow up is Feb. 09.  But so far, gettting info out of Dr. Barker's staff is like pulling duck's teeth.  Impossible.
     I am going to try and find the Greek yogurt.  I have heard about it and since the Light and Lively yogurt isn't sitting on my tummy, the Greek yogurt might work.  I will also try the 1% milk with the powdered added.  (I loved milk prior to my surgery so maybe that love will come back.)  
     They gave me Zuplenz strips that melt in your mouth and Promethazine liquid for nausea.  I haven't really taken any of it because the only time I am nauseated is when I try to eat something.  Do you think taking it when I eat might help me keep what I do eat down?  I hadn't thought about that to be honest.  I just assumed it was for when I got home from the hospital and I was sick from the surgery.
     I just haven't had any luck with the protein supplements at all.  The only ones I can take are the Slim Fast which I liked before the surgery and can barely tolerate now.   Just the smell of the protein gags me.  
     Have you noticed that your sense of smell is more sensitive since the surgery?  Anything that smells like garlic just gags me nearly to death.  All smells are greatly enhanced since I had surgery.  Things no longer taste the same.  I don't understand the correlation but I am sure it makes sense somehow. 
     Again, thanks for the support.  It's nice to talk to someone about how they are doing compared to how I am doing. 
Jac

Recent Topics