Unable to eat anything 11 days after surgery

Julie R.
on 12/19/10 3:31 am - Ludington, MI
FIrst of all, ditto on the sherbert - no wonder you have gas.   Second, all you really, really need right now are fluids.   Honest, you won't die.
Third, my two best post-op go-to's were peppermint tea (works great for nausea and so does ginger tea) and egg drop soup.   The eggs in the soup were just enough extra fortification to keep me from feeling hollow and icky.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Ms. Cal Culator
on 12/19/10 3:37 am - Tuvalu

Sherbet has milk in it and many of us have post-op problems with lactose.  Juice has sugar.

You are feeding your eyes...not your current stomach in its current condition...with about 80% of it hacked off and now residing in a toxic waste landfill somewhere and with a row of staples longer than you can imagine...and you are putting pressure on that new configuration and eating stuff that is making it worse.

A small can or pouch of tuna, mashed up really well, with some mayo...might last you two days.

A drive-through order of Taco Bell's Pintos and Cheese will last two days.  I learned to soft boil an egg to my liking and ate mostly the yolk because it's soft and "processes" better than egg whites which, in my non-scientific observation, just keep getting smaller but don't actually dissolve very well.

At eleven days, Priority #1 is fluids and Priority #2 is protein.  (And I think tofu sucks, but I put it in some mashed potatoes and ate it anyway.)

jacq0122
on 12/20/10 3:01 am - TX
I love hot and sour soup.  I am going to get some of that from our local Chinese place and try sipping the broth from that.  I have been able to drink a little of the broth off the egg drop soup too.  I guess I am trying all the wrong things because bananas mashed in milk is one of the few things I can keep down.  I am pretty much sticking to the water and tea right now cause they don't hurt and I don't gag like a maggot after I swallow them nor do I have tummy cramps later.
Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.  I am dropping the sherbert, milk and high fructose juices and going with the diabetic juice, water, tea and broths.  And I have not been able to hold down drinkable yogurt or jello of any kind so far.  I will give this change a day or two to adjust and let everyone know how it's going.   Thanks again.  All your experience and advice is priceless to a newby!
Merry Christmas to all!
Jacque

dustydeer
on 12/19/10 4:45 am
Everything everyone already said plus you'd be better off to try a very soft protein rather than drink and eat that sugar.
Eating sf jello might feel a bit more like eating to ya. I can't stand firm jello, so all mine was made with extra water to make it softer.
Eat your liquids by spoon, or even try freezing some sf flavored beverages and eat that like a slushy.

By this time, I was sipping the broth of the hot and sour soup from my local chinese takeout. It's not truly all that hot or sour, and it made me feel like I was eating.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/10 7:31 am, edited 12/19/10 7:32 am
SF popsicles, sf puddings, broth like chicken or beef, water, sf flavoring for water, peppermint tea, decaf tea or coffee, cream soups like mushroom, chicken...I loved tomato soup. Stay away from sugar and milk right now, your new guts can't handle that just yet. It's very important to get your fluids in and if you can't due to nausea, you need to call your DS doc and get an rx for it. Don't get dehydrated!

ETA: sometimes the temperature of the fluid makes all the difference so play with that too
Wenda C.
on 12/19/10 12:34 pm - Combine, TX
You've had wonderful advice so far so I'm not going to repeat it 

I DO have some questions for you though!  I see you have Dr. Barker listed as your surgeon.  Did he in fact do your DS?  If so, were you his first?  When I was with Stormy in her preop appointment with Dr. Stewart he said Dr. Barker was interested in doing the DS but didn't have plans to 'practice' under anybody, that he was just going to go in and start doing them himself.  That was really scary to me!  If you don't mind sharing the information you have about him I would LOVE to hear it!

Thanks,
  Wenda
HW/DOS/Now
300+/273/156
Lap DS  2/3/03
Open Leak Repair  12/5/03

jacq0122
on 12/20/10 3:17 am - TX
 There were other Dr's in the operating room when my surgery was done.  I do know that at least one of the other DR's assisted.  I met him at the time of the surgery but I was not clear headed and I do not recall his name at this time. 
     As far as I know Dr. Barker did the major part of the surgery.  Prior to surgery, I was assured by him, his staff and BCBS that he was well qualified to perform the procedure.  He and a Dr. from Denton were the only 2 Dr's in the N. Texas area that BCBS would ok to do the surgery.  According to their Blue Standards in order for a Dr. to be qualified he has to have completed at least 150 successful DS operations. 
     Why do you ask?  Have you heard something that can be substantiated or just rumor? 
     I had very little contact with Dr. Barker as his staff handles most all patient contact.  From what I understand he does close to 30 surgeries a week.  I am assuming this keeps the man very busy. 
     My surgery didn't even get started until after 6:00PM and I had to arrive at the hospital at 10:00am.  We sat there all day waiting to start.
Merry Christmas
Jacque

stormy918
on 12/19/10 6:24 pm, edited 12/19/10 6:25 pm
Are you sure you had a DS? Your profile only mentions a RNY...nowhere is DS/duodenal switch in the short text.

Also, I am very concerned with a Dr *****ccomends sherbert and juice for his patients on liquid diets. They are both loaded with sugar and carbs.

The rule of thumb for protein is 30 gr by 30 days, 60 gr by 60 days and 90 gr by 90 days. You got time for that.

FLUIDS....hot cold warm...it doesnt matter...whatever temp fluids work for you.

IF and I do mean IF...you are getting all your fluiids in iyou chould start adding soups, protein shakes etc.

Sugar and Milk/Milk products can cause nausea, gas and bloating...not to mention DHR and sabatog your weight loss.

There have been times where new DSers have had to "duck" docs orders and follow the board.

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

girlygirl1313
on 12/19/10 8:51 pm - Davidson, NC
 How much longer till you are cleared for soft foods/solids?  I remember being 11 days out and it was a real frustrating time.  I truly truly fell for what you are going through right now.  Ask your doc about yogurt, cottage cheese, thinned refried beans.  But no sherbet.  Are you drinking any protein shakes?  Protein and water will help combat weakness.  Be sure to drink or you'll end up in the ER like me getting rehydrated.   I know it's little consolation right now but this stage will soon pass.
((Huggles))  ~GG

Recent Topics